XHA1/SGPRO 35mm adapter/17-40mm more footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 15th, 2008, 01:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XHA1/SGPRO 35mm adapter/17-40mm more footage

Just some random footage I shot around the Isle of Man SGPRO/XHA1/17-40 on Vimeo

I'm in week 2 with the adapter,so there's still a few teething troubles!
Old September 16th, 2008, 06:55 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I liked the look of your footage.
I read on the messages in Vimeo that you didn't apply any CC to the footage -other than desaturate- Which preset did you use?
My compliments

pietro
Pietro Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 07:29 AM   #3
Major Player

Great video Phil. How far can you stop down the 17-40 for max depth of field before you start having image quality issues with the adaptor?

Pat
Pat Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:48 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys.

I didn't use a preset Pietro. I take a white balance off a card that is ever so slightly blue (it's actually a piece of thick card painted with Dulux 'a touch of barley flower white'!)
You can recreate the card by mixing 90% white paint with 10% sky blue. This gives the footage a more 'film look' even without an adapter. Desaturate it a bit and add a bit of contrast to finish off.

Pat,Ive only had the SGPRO for about two weeks and haven't really had much time to use it,but when I have it's always wide open at f4. I can see vignetting being a problem though past f8,maybe less.....? I'll experiment and let you know.
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Phil,

good to know. The XH A1 is said to produce flat and not particularly appealing footage but watching yours is a pleasure for my eyes. The "no presets" choice might turn out to be the best one if one wants to do a bit of CC in post..
Thanks

pietro
Pietro Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Yeah Pietro,I think you are totally correct. People get hung-up on presets all the time and I don't understand why? I see the standard setting as a base to work from,everything you see in presets can be done in post,even in FCE.
Like in stills RAW format the image is always dull and flat,but it's just a start,like a negative.

Thanks for the comments anyway Pietro,let me know how your experiments go.....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders