Focus Enhancements Chosen for Canon's Next-Generation Tapeless Acquisition Solution at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 16th, 2008, 08:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Focus Enhancements Chosen for Canon's Next-Generation Tapeless Acquisition Solution

Quote:
AMSTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS--(Marketwire - September 15, 2008) - IBC2008 -- Focus Enhancements Inc. (NASDAQ: FCSE), a worldwide leader in media management and ultra wideband (UWB) wireless technology, today announced that it has partnered with Canon U.S.A. to develop the FS-CV Direct To EditŪ (DTE) Recorder for Canon's XL and XH series of professional HDV cameras. The ultra-portable recorder will be demonstrated in both Focus Enhancements' booth (9.D41) and Canon Europe's booth (11.E50) at IBC2008 held at the Amsterdam RAI Centre from September 12-16.

Focus Enhancements will begin shipping a 100 GB version of the FS-CV to Canon's distribution channel in late September.
Not sure if this has been mentioned. Does this mean it'll be Canon branded?

Focus Enhancements Chosen for Canon's Next-Generation Tapeless Acquisition Solution

Focus Enhancements
Old September 17th, 2008, 04:17 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Even, thanks for the info.

I just checked the second link in your post, which is the spec for the FS-CV recorder. It does not seem to support 1080 progressive modes at all. If this is correct, I'm not sure which Canon HDV cams this is aimed at.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Well, it does say "QuickTime 1080i 50/60/25f/24f/30f" ... personally, I'd prefer MPEG2. I might go with the Sony CF device instead.
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:00 AM   #4
Trustee

Jonathan Ive to replace Gerry Anderson?

I hope this means the design will be a bit more sophisticated than the present models. My FS-4HD PRO looks distinctly home made compared to the Canon XH-A1 it's used with.

Works OK, but I have been asked "Is that Captain Scarlet's iPod or what?" Doesn't quite cut it if you're trying to look cool and well equipped.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Personally I wonder if this can be doctored to replace the harddrive with a solid state disk. I'm not too crazy about yet more moveable parts.

Something like this would be nice:
SanDisk | Business Products | Embedded Computing | SanDisk SSD Solid State Drives | SanDisk SSD SATA 5000 1.8"
Old September 17th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Read This before getting too excited.

Sayonara to Focus Enhancements - The Digital Video Information Network
Old September 17th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #7
Contributor

Timing is everything.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Haha! Back to the Sony solution then. :-)
Old September 18th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Even Solberg View Post
Haha! Back to the Sony solution then. :-)
I wonder if Sony has any idea how many HDV pro cam owners are going to buy that thing? I'm predicting backorders like nobody's business. Someone like Focus could have really jumped into CF or SD recording and made a mint.

I wish Canon would release its own CF recorder with some sort of custom matched mounting and design for the XH series. Oh well.. Sony it is :)
Old September 19th, 2008, 05:19 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Williams View Post
I wish Canon would release its own CF recorder with some sort of custom matched mounting and design for the XH series. Oh well.. Sony it is :)
They will, but only after you and I have ordered our Sony MCR-1! Although, I'd expect Canon to choose SDHC, because that's what their camcorders currently use for stills.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders