DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   New XH-A1 owner, lots of problems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/133620-new-xh-a1-owner-lots-problems.html)

Mike Gauthier September 19th, 2008 01:17 PM

New XH-A1 owner, lots of problems

Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely in love with this camera. Everything about it is phenomenal.

The problem is with my editing.

I use Adobe Premiere Pro 3.0.

1. When capturing, I cannot watch the footage nor use the "scene detect" tool.

2. When I start a new project in Adobe, it only lets me choose a 1080i 25p (50i) setting, when i need 1080i 24f.

I might be completely wrong, and just a dumb noob, but if someone could give me some info that would make me a happy man!

-Mike

John B. Nelson September 19th, 2008 01:34 PM

Hi Mike,

From my experience using Premeire Pro,

You can not preview the video as its being captured. I'm not sure why that is, but that's just the way it is. As for scene detection, I could never get it to work either. The solution I found is, HDVSplit. It's a freebee, just google HDVSplit to find it. As long as your computer is fast enough you will be able to preview the video while it's capturing. Scene detection works flawlessly. It's an amazing app.

On my Premeire Pro, when I go to start a new project, there's a preset for the Canon HDV which gives me the options: Canon 24F HDV, Canon 25F HDV or Canon 30F HDV. I'm sorry, but I don't remember if this came with CS3 or if I had to download the update somewhere. I do recall someone mentioning this update on a thread here so you may want to do a search for that.

Hope this helps some. Good luck :)

-John

Josh Chesarek September 19th, 2008 01:38 PM

I think you need to update CS3 and then it will get the presets. Or... just go get the preset download from P2.0 and put them in. I think that is what I did when PPro 3.0 first came out.

Also as for the preview you are right, you cannot watch it. So flip open the LCD and watch there as that is the best you can do while staying inside of PPro 3.0.

Bill Busby September 19th, 2008 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Gauthier (Post 939687)

Not that this is your issue and since I don't cut with Premiere, but scene detection usually, if not always, requires the time & date set on a camera before it's of any use.

Travis Fadler September 20th, 2008 08:00 AM

The premier cs3 manual states that scene detect is not available in HDV mode.

Mike Gauthier September 25th, 2008 09:21 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try downloading the HDVsplit because i just refuse to edit it all in one clip.

Thanks again,
-Mike

Steven Dempsey September 26th, 2008 09:20 AM

Buy the Cineform plugin for Premiere called AspectHD. I know it's an additional expense but it will make your life way more fun :)

CineForm Home Page

Martin D. Smith September 26th, 2008 05:46 PM

More of the same

I am using Premier CS3 and I cant get the new project window to even except the HDV option, the ok is grayed out..........help, I have just shelled out for a very expensive cam and pc and cant edit. I am using a NVIDIA geoforce 260 which i was promised would work with HD PAL footage. I updated the drivers to the latest and still nothing.....HELP

James Hooey September 26th, 2008 07:29 PM

Quote:

2. When I start a new project in Adobe, it only lets me choose a 1080i 25p (50i) setting, when i need 1080i 24f.

-Mike

I'm sure you didn't mean to put the 'i' after the 1080....considering that it should actually be 1080 24f (non-interlaced) footage that you were trying to work with. Just checking...

Mike Gauthier September 28th, 2008 08:15 PM

oh yeah haha, dumb mistake on my part

Gert Kracht September 29th, 2008 06:35 AM

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely in love with this camera. Everything about it is phenomenal.

The problem is with my editing.

I use Adobe Premiere Pro 3.0.

I might be completely wrong, and just a dumb noob, but if someone could give me some info that would make me a happy man!

-Mike

Hi,

First, try to update to the latest version of Adobe Premiere 3.0.2

1. Scene detect does not work in Premiere. You can use other programs like Sony Vegas, this software is able to capture and use scene detect. A free tool is also available, called: HDV Split. You can find it at:

HDVSplit utility for HDV capturing with scene split - HDV capture utility

2. To add the 24F, 25F settings to Premiere, please go to:

Adobe - Premiere Pro : For Windows : Editing presets for Canon Progressive-scan HDV cameras

and follow the instructions.

I hope you is a happy man now....

Good luck,

Gert

Nicholas de Kock September 29th, 2008 01:39 PM

It's called Sony Vegas 8 Pro, will handle anything you throw at it.