NTG-2 on the XH-A1 mic holder...will I regret not using a shock mount? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 19th, 2008, 11:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

NTG-2 on the XH-A1 mic holder...will I regret not using a shock mount?

or is the difference negligible? Basically, I want to keep the hot shoe for lighting.
Arif Syed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #2
Regular Crew

well, handling noise may be an issue with the NTG-2, due to the battery compartment, and the added length/weight it displays as compared to the NTG-1. I favor the NTG-1 for that very reason. but you'll probably be fine anyhow, the NTG-2 has fared well for many users who like the battery option.

-chris
Chris Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 02:54 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif Syed View Post
NTG-2 on the XH-A1 mic holder...will I regret not using a shock mount? or is the difference negligible? Basically, I want to keep the hot shoe for lighting.
Short answer, yes.

There are shockmounts which fit in the mic holder like the Rode SM-5
Rode | SM5 - Shotgun Microphone Suspension | SM5 | B&H Photo

or the J-rod
thej-rod.com

I used a Rode shotgun without the shockmount once - the zoom servo and assorted control switches could be heard operating clearly on the audio track.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #4
Trustee

I don't know for sure about the Rode but with my Senn ME66 without a shock mount it picks up the motor and every littel adjustment. If hand held it picked up my slight adjustments of my hand.

I made a DIY based on teh Rode SM5 with some 1/2" PVC, 2" PVC and plumbing O rings. Works great and cost me about $2 since I already had the pipes and all I had to buy were the O rings.
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #5
Trustee

The main thing that stopped me from using the on-board mic mount was when I put on the dead cat I could see the fur when zoomed out. This was not a problem with just the foam. I have the NTG-1 and I don't know if the form factor is the same, but I think it is.

I also picked up some noise from the zoom motor.

As a recommendation, I would not purchase the Rode hot shoe holder. It's very flimsy and mine broke in about 6 months.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
As a recommendation, I would not purchase the Rode hot shoe holder. It's very flimsy and mine broke in about 6 months.
Tripp, so did my Rode SM3 but it was replaced under warranty. Did you try this?

I think one has to be careful not to overtighten the locking screw when using it, though my SM3 passed away in its sleep while in the case between shoots.
Old September 20th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #7
Trustee

No, I didn't. After it broke, I took it apart and the loops of the main body just looked too thin. In my eyes that's a design flaw. Until Rode redesign it I'd have the same problem with a new one. I just bought a different one made out of metal.

It's interesting that I didn't over tighten it, leaving it just tight enough to keep the mic from flopping down. It came apart when I loosened the nut. Odd.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
No, I didn't. After it broke, I took it apart and the loops of the main body just looked too thin. In my eyes that's a design flaw. Until Rode redesign it I'd have the same problem with a new one. I just bought a different one made out of metal.

It's interesting that I didn't over tighten it, leaving it just tight enough to keep the mic from flopping down. It came apart when I loosened the nut. Odd.
That sounds familiar - I was careful not to overtighten and it was fine when put away. I noticed the plastic had collapsed round the nut when I took it out a couple of days later.

I don't think it would do any harm to tell them - their product line is usually pretty good. If there's a whole bunch of them failing they'll want to know why. It could be a materials issue as well I suppose. Anyway, I'll see how long the replacement lasts.
Old September 20th, 2008, 01:05 PM   #9
Major Player

I am glad that I checked this thread.
I have series 7 on-camera light with battery on the top so my shoe was occupied and my NTG2 was driving me crazy with motor sound and sensitivity AND I had no place to put my wireless mic receiver.
I just purchased J-Rod now and can't wait till put my shotgun and wireless reciever on it.
THank you, guys!

JJ
J.J. Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #10
Regular Crew

wondering about best way to use my mic (an AT-822) with my camera (XH-A1) too

My Canon XH-A1 arrived a few days ago and my AT-822 just arrived tonight. I was planning on using my mic with my camera sometimes with a 3/8" adaptor, but I couldn't find one. I should probably look into a better solution though looking through this thread.
Old September 28th, 2008, 02:12 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi,

does anybody know if the NTG2 with the Rode SM5(+deadcat) comes into the frame when used on an XH A1 with/without wideangle lens?

gtrz
Terwingen Niels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #12
Go Cycle

I have the same set-up. I do not have a problem. The SM5 can be set back as well if need be which would bring the NTG2 in closer to the camera operator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terwingen Niels View Post
Hi,

does anybody know if the NTG2 with the Rode SM5(+deadcat) comes into the frame when used on an XH A1 with/without wideangle lens?

gtrz
Old September 28th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terwingen Niels View Post
Hi,

gtrz
No problems here...
Attached Thumbnails
NTG-2 on the XH-A1 mic holder...will I regret not using a shock mount?-deadcat1.jpg   NTG-2 on the XH-A1 mic holder...will I regret not using a shock mount?-deadcat2.jpg  

Denys Pyevtsov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 02:16 AM   #14
Regular Crew

thanks for the info guys. this one goes into my shoppingcart...

grtz
niels
Terwingen Niels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:

Hmmm. Mine has just gone again - it was replaced in July. What kind of Shockmount did you buy, Tripp?
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders