DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH-A1 FCPS2: can't print to video HDV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/134764-xh-a1-fcps2-cant-print-video-hdv.html)

Brian David Melnyk September 25th, 2008 11:22 PM

XH-A1 FCPS2: can't print to video HDV

as above... i've tried every combo of settings and disconnecting/reconnecting FW. i was able to make it work with SD (i can actually monitor the video thru the camera), but the HDV options for external monitoring in FCP are shown, but are GREYED OUT!!!! i switch the standard to HDV in camera VCR mode under time code, with or without FW connected, but it always seems to switch out of this mode when connected. camera says 'check DV/HDV connection' when i press record. problem with camera or FCP (or ME???)???? FCP recognizes the camera and i can control it in log and capture.
i'm past a deadline for output and need a solution quick! should i try a camera reset? should i smash all things with a big hammer??? at this point, i'm leaning towards the hammer...

Brian David Melnyk September 25th, 2008 11:47 PM

update:
found this, BUT when i follow first part, HDV blue light is not lit, and STD is un-selectable and set to ---. alsi AV to DV is u-selectable to begin with with HDV as standard...

1) Turn on your XL H1, with NO firewire cable connected, make sure the following is selected:
PLAYBACK STD: HDV
AV to DV:OFF
HD DOWN-CONV:OFF
2) Then connect a firewire cable between your XL H1 and your Mac (There should be a blue HDV light next to the Firewire port on the camera)
3) Start FCP (IMPORTANT: FCP should now recognize a connection via firewire with the XL H1)
4) Go to Final Cut Pro menu, select Easy Setup, Select HDV 1080i60
5) Go to A/V Settings and select the following:
Sequence - HDV 1080i60
Capture - HDV
Device Control - HDV Firewire Basic
6) Go to A/V Devices, make sure that "Different Output for Edit to Tape/ Print to Video" is checked and select:
Edit to Tape/PTV Output Video - HDV (1440x1090) 60i
Edit to Tape/PTV OUTput Audio - HDV

Remember, you can NOT preview your HDV edit in real time via firewire through an HDV camcorder with FCP - (like you can when editing Standard Definition DV with a Standard Definition DV camcorder) - you can only "Print to Video" with HDV over firewire. When you select "Print To Video" FCP will first have to re-conform any cuts you made in the edit to recreate the GOP. This will take a bit of time and will vary, depending upon the speed of your computer. FCP will tell you when it is ready to print video back to the camcorder. Be careful here, you must first press REC+PAUSE on the camcorder and then quickly press "OK" in FCP to begin the Print To Video process.

Brian David Melnyk September 27th, 2008 01:54 PM

any suggestions?
Canon support said this:

Unfortunately, it is unclear as to what the issue is you are
experiencing, since you are able to connect and capture your video in
Standard.
Any HD video capturing program that supports firewire connections should
be fine to use to transfer video to your computer. When transferring
your high definition video be sure you are using software designed to
work with HD camcorders.

then they said i should contact Apple.
ha ha ha.

Pavel Tomanec October 21st, 2009 03:52 AM

Hello Brian

I wonder did you manage to solve your print to video issue with Canon XH A1 using FCP?

Many thanks,
Pavel