Some audio troubles with XH A1 and wireless at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 26th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Some audio troubles with XH A1 and wireless

OK...I am seeming to have some problems with my mic set ups, so let me tell you what I have.

Canon XH A1 with an ME66 shotgun mic, that I run to Channel 1 and I run the battery off the camera, so I have the +48V selected to on. No problems whatesoever with the sound coming through the headphones while recording.

My Wireless set up is the Sennheiser EW100 G2 and I have that running to channel 2, but on it's own battery power.

I have the Ch1 / Ch1Ch2 set to Ch1. I get the audio showing on the camera and the wireless set, but I can't hear it through my headphones.

Now, we went out last weekend and filmed and it was real staticky...I thought my buddies headphones were blown....noticed a low battery on the transmitter you wear, so I changed them at work here, and tried it out....worked like a charm, so I guess low batteries are not good!
So, I thought everything was fixed. Took it out last night to do some filming and I couldn't hear myself talking again through the headphones of the wireless.....

Anyone know what my problem is?????
Derrick DeWilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Contributor

You should be able to hear both channels. I assume you're getting a good level from the wireless? If so, maybe there's a problem with the headphones jack. I'd say first thing would be to switch channels, ie., put the wireless into Ch 1 and shotgun into Ch 2 (being careful to turn off the +48v on the wireless channel first). If you hear the wireless but not the shotgun, then that would imply something wrong with the headphone connector. Or, try another set of headphones.

As far as the low batteries, yes, low batteries in the transmitter will cause static type problems. On my G2, the batteries typically last all day.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I will try that and see if something clicks, but I still don't understand why it worked here at work, then took it out into the field and I had the problems.

It is not the headphones.

I will try switching the channels for the two and see if that works.
Old September 26th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #4
Major Player

Have you inadvertently lowered the headphone volume to a point where you can't hear anything? Sometimes this happens to me if I'm handheld & have the rear of the camera body braced against my stomach. It can accidentally go up or down. Just a thought.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #5
Contributor

If it's an intermittent issue, I'd vote for a bad connector.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #6
Trustee

Just check you haven't accidentally moved the Mute switch on the transmitter.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Honestly, I switched the two to different channels and it worked for some od reason! But I do have a problem...it cracks real bad...my microphone wire from my transmitter is somehow damaged and when you bump it...it cracks real bad. I wonder where I can get a new one of those and how much it costs....good grief!
Old September 30th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi.............

Just in case you missed this on the "All Things Audio" forum:

Pearstone | OLM2 Replacement Omnidirectional Lavalier | OLM2

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders