Linear or Circular Polarizer for XH-A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 28th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Linear or Circular Polarizer for XH-A1

Quick question...

My Canon EOS digital SLR requires a circular polarizer, but what about the A1?
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #2
Trustee

I've read here numerous times that a circular polarizer is not required on the A1. I don't recollect the specifics of the reason, but it fundamentally has to do with the difference between the way that DSLRs and CCD cameras work.

Save yourself a couple of quid and go with a linear.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #3
Trustee

Yes, the A1 does not need a circular polarizer.

In fact, many find that linear polarizers have a stronger effect than circular polarizers and are preferred if they can be used.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #4
Major Player

After posting this question, I was looking on the B&H web site and saw that it said circular polarizers are required for autofocus cameras. The A1 focuses through the lens, just like a DSLR, so why would it not require a circular polarizer?
Old September 29th, 2008, 01:19 AM   #5
Trustee

Most DSLRs use beam-splitters (e.g. mirror) that require the use of a circular polarizer.

The XH-A1 does not use a mirror or other split-beam system.

When the info talks about "auto-focus" cameras, it is usually referring to still cameras, specifically DSLRs, not video cameras.

Polarizer
Polarizers
Re: Why they're Idiots: (*Pics): Canon Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Polarizer - Camerapedia.org
Old September 29th, 2008, 09:22 AM   #6
Major Player

Excellent! Thanks for the explanation and the links.
Old September 29th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #7
Major Player

I love the circular polarizer on my A1. I shoot a lot of automotive stuff and using the circular polarizer allows me to erase reflections in the paint job, letting me see the detail in the paint work. But I don't always use it - sometimes a cool reflection is just the right shot.
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #8
Major Player

I have a 77mm circular polarizer for my stills EOS camera and will probably just buy a step-down ring from 77mm to 72mm for the A1. I don't think I'll get any vignetting due to the not-so-wide lens on the A1.
Old September 29th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #9
Contributor

You can use a circular polarizer if you have one on a video camera too; it's just that it won't do any more for you than a linear one and to spend more money for one would be a waste.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 06:36 AM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker View Post
Most DSLRs use beam-splitters (e.g. mirror) that require the use of a circular polarizer.

The XH-A1 does not use a mirror or other split-beam system.

When the info talks about "auto-focus" cameras, it is usually referring to still cameras, specifically DSLRs, not video cameras.

Polarizer
Polarizers
Re: Why they're Idiots: (*Pics): Canon Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Hi Jack , II have an XH-A1, regarding polarizers I would like to know why when I look through my Hoya PL-CIR polarizer do I see the view change colour so dramatically from brown to blue when I rotate it? I'm looking square on with white 2m yrds behind filter. Would a better quality B+H polarizer be better (less colour shift) or even better a B+W linear polarizer? I want to use the polarizer to enhance colour , reflection removal is less important.
Any advice appreciated
G
Graham Westfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 04:16 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Haven't used my Hoya Moose Circular Polarizor for over a year.

I shoot aircraft and sometimes it's great for stationary shots but outdoors in the sun, the instant you pan you lose the polarised effect.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 06:47 PM   #12
Wrangler

It may be worth mentioning that both a circular pola and a linear pola will work on any camcorder, but the circular represents no advantage and is more expensive, so there is no reason to buy that one unless you also plan to use it on an SLR.

And since this also causes confusion: the designations refer to the design of the polarizing element and not to the external shape of the filter. You can have a round linear pola, or a rectangular circular pola!
Old July 1st, 2009, 08:21 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Westfield View Post
Hi Jack , II have an XH-A1, regarding polarizers I would like to know why when I look through my Hoya PL-CIR polarizer do I see the view change colour so dramatically from brown to blue when I rotate it? I'm looking square on with white 2m yrds behind filter. Would a better quality B+H polarizer be better (less colour shift) or even better a B+W linear polarizer? I want to use the polarizer to enhance colour , reflection removal is less important.
Any advice appreciated
G
I'm not sure the colors actually change... have you check this in the video on a monitor?

The polarizer will darken the sky and/or the image in general. The amount depends on the on the angle of light to the lens. For example the effect is strongest when the sun is at right angle to the shooting direction of the camera.

Better quality polarizers may have additonal coatings that limit other kinds of reflections. More expensive filters can also be made form a better quality (read, more expensive to make) glass. The B+W filters (at lest the ones I've bought) have a copper/brass ring and not aluminum, so the theory is (and I have found it to be true), the filter does not "freeze" onto the lens, making it difficult to remove.

Also, there are different thicknesses of metal ring on the filters, and sometimes this can make a difference in price.

I believe some polarizers are also more effective than others, but I don't know details.

But in the case of colors changing, I think it might just be a darkening of the picture that appears to be a color change in the camera's viewfinder.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 05:54 PM   #14
Major Player

Can I butt in and ask - possibly - a stupid question?
What actually is the difference between circular and linear polorisers? I've never actually used one in video, I have a very old one on my (film) SLR stills camera but it doesn't say if it circular or linear, just looking via the viewfinder/LCD screen on the G1 it seems to have the polorising effect OK
Philip Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:27 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Younger View Post
Can I butt in and ask - possibly - a stupid question?
What actually is the difference between circular and linear polorisers? I've never actually used one in video, I have a very old one on my (film) SLR stills camera but it doesn't say if it circular or linear, just looking via the viewfinder/LCD screen on the G1 it seems to have the polorising effect OK
The differences in the two are explained here:
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders