DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Need to Buy Tapes for A1 in Canada (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/135022-need-buy-tapes-a1-canada.html)

Karim Amanali September 30th, 2008 08:39 PM

Need to Buy Tapes for A1 in Canada

Hey,

I am tying to find a retailer where I can buy a pack of 5-10 mini dv HD tapes for a reasonable price. Is there a good retailer within CAnada in Toronto where i can go buy some for a good price? I was going to buy the Sony Digital Master PHDVM-63DM but they are a little too expensive and I am just a beginner so i might as well start with some of the cheaper tapes instead of investing a lot in the Sony Digital Master PHDVm.

If you can even recommend a good quality that i can even place an order online from USA that would be nice. I have been looking at the B&Hphoto site but shipping just kils the deal from there.

I am not asking to recommend me the kind of tape as there are already many threads about them i am just trying to find a retailer here in CAnada besides Henry's.

Thank you.

John Arnold Ph.D. September 30th, 2008 09:27 PM

Tapes

I have been using TDK tapes from Costco for over a decade and gone through at least a couple of hundred with not one problem. I use them only once and archive them because they are 10 for C$25. Why anyone would buy the expensive ones baffles me.

James R. Leong October 1st, 2008 02:05 AM

Try the Yellow Pages under Motion Picture/broadcast video supplies. One local Vancouver Movie supply house has Panasonic AMQ's for $7 CDN and Fuji HDV 63m for $6.00 CDN.

Trish Kerr October 1st, 2008 03:12 AM

Dvshop sells the panasonic ones for $33 a 5-pack

dundas st west

http://dvshop.ca/

they are usually a few bucks cheaper than vistek on anything and it's run by a really nice couple of people

vistek is other main place in toronto but they are pricey

i never thought about costco - $2.50 a tape!

trish

Karim Amanali October 1st, 2008 06:53 AM

Thank you guys I will have a look at those places for sure.

I tried searching on the costco website to see if any mini dv tapes were there but I could not find any, maybe i am not searching correctly but i will definitely go to Costco during this week and have a look. I was about to drop $150.00 on 10 Sony digital Master tape but then thought that I dont need to invest a lot into tapes right now since I dont have any projects coming up.

I looked at vistek site briefly but will do a lot of search today at work as well and see which one works best for me. That costco deal for $24.99 would be sweet, cant find it at all.

Thanks guys and if someone knows any other places let me know :).

Noel Lising October 1st, 2008 07:14 AM

hey Karim,

the company I work sells media. Videoscope Home Page. we have an on-going sale right now.

Karim Amanali October 1st, 2008 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noel Lising (Post 945501)
hey Karim,

the company I work sells media. Videoscope Home Page. we have an on-going sale right now.

Thanks Noel, the Toronto location is literally 5 minutes from where I live. I will swing by there tomorrow for sure. Hopefully they will have the tapes in stock, but I will call before going.

Thank you.

Noel Lising October 1st, 2008 08:35 AM

hey Karim,

no problem. you can call Rose Ferranti and order before dropping by.

John Arnold Ph.D. October 1st, 2008 10:55 AM

Tapes and blank media at Costco

Costco's website does not show many items that are sold in the stores, e.g., blank DVD printable media, 50 for C$15, or they now have blank non printable BluRay re-writable media, 3 for about $35, and of course the MiniDV tapes. I am waiting for Costco to have the printable BluRay media. BluRay media prices are dropping quickly. In December I was paying about $20 for one!

Glen Canning October 1st, 2008 12:40 PM

Try blankmedia.ca

I purchase Panasonic AY-DVM63AMQ five packs for $26.95 from them. The shipping is quick too.

Leo Tarun October 21st, 2008 10:57 AM

Is this a generic TDK or certain TDK?
The reason i ask is, i dont have costco membership. So i can look elsewhere.
Since you are using for that long period, i would give it a shot.

thanks,

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Arnold Ph.D. (Post 945367)
I have been using TDK tapes from Costco for over a decade and gone through at least a couple of hundred with not one problem. I use them only once and archive them because they are 10 for C$25. Why anyone would buy the expensive ones baffles me.

Rick Lutec October 21st, 2008 11:50 AM

Need to Buy Tapes for A1 in Canada

If you're anywhere near downtown Toronto then try Codes Pro Media or Creative Post.
Codes Pr Media is on Niagra St. south of King and Creative Post is on Portland also south of King.
Both cater to many production companies as well as independent artists and offer pretty good prices for Quality media.
I've used them for years and since I'm an Arts videographer I'm always looking for good deals to compliment the many low budget projects I work on.

If you are just looking for cheaper consumer tapes then try Factory Direct or a store on Yonge St. called Price Winner PW is located on Yonge just south of Wellseley on the west side of the street and sells consumer Panasonic tapes for around 2.99 each and I think 6 for $18 or something around that.
Both Codes (great guys) and Creative Post (sometimes you get tapes from there almost up to 11pm on weekdays if the person working on dubs is there) should have websites and phone numbers. Price Winner used to be Super Discount and was originally more north on Yonge so there number may not be as easy to find.

John Arnold Ph.D. October 23rd, 2008 03:07 PM

Costco TDK tapes

They are authentic TDK tapes, but I do not know what grade they are. If you know someone with a Costco membership, ask them to buy them for you.
ja