New owner - stupid card question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 4th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #1
New Boot

New owner - stupid card question

Hi, all. My A1 arrived on Thursday. Since I've been combing these forums for awhile, I was all set with a custom list of presets. I copied them to the supplied SD card via my laptop and put the card in the camcorder, but it doesn't seem to be recognized. I get no "card error" message, but when I try to load the presets from the card, the little "card to camera" icon is ghosted out (the "camera to card" icon is active).

I thought I might have to initialize the card, but I cannot for the life of me find the "card operations" sub menu mentioned on page 124 of the manual. I switched the little card/camera selector above the standby/lock switch, but that doesn't seem to have any effect on the menus. I'm sure the card is inserted correctly. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

[edit] Got it partially sorted. I had to move my presets into a directory called PRESET on the card. Now I can load them, but I still don't see the "card operations" menu anywhere.
Bill Fredette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Do you have the A1 set to VCR mode (using the main power/mode dial on the left side of the camera) *and* the Tape/Card switch set to "Card"? You have to be in VCR mode and have the switch set to Card before you'll see the Card Operations option in the Menu.
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Frost View Post
Do you have the A1 set to VCR mode (using the main power/mode dial on the left side of the camera) *and* the Tape/Card switch set to "Card"? You have to be in VCR mode and have the switch set to Card before you'll see the Card Operations option in the Menu.
That's probably it. Wasn't clear to me in the manual. Thanks for the help!
Bill Fredette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fredette View Post
That's probably it. Wasn't clear to me in the manual. Thanks for the help!
Hello Bill,

Welcome to the world of XH A-1. I found I had lots of questions re: my A-1 that the manual and this forum could answer.

IMHO...the XH A-1 is still the camera of choice for what I want to do...sports and wildlife.

Best of luck.

Rog Lee
Roger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 02:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Bill what you need to do is copy all the preset files to a Directory on your card called "PRESET" once you have all the files inside this Directory on your card put the card back in the camera and switch to one of the record modes not vcr go into the menu and go to customize and select custom preset you should then be able to see the custom presets Regards Alan
Alan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #6
New Boot

Hi, Roger. Thanks for the welcome. I have spent the past two days shooting (mainly autumn scenics since the colors are peaking here in Upstate NY) and I am really, really happy with this camera. I used to work in public television before taking off seven years to go to med school and into a pediatrics residency. The A1 is my reward to myself upon signing a contract. (The trip to Ireland it will document is my reward to my wife and three sons who have put up with so much these past years). It feels soooo good to get out and shoot again!

Alan, thanks for your reply, too. I managed to figure out the PRESET folder requirement after sifting through the posts here. Maybe it was just my post call haze, but the manual seemed less than clear on all of this.

I plan to spend lots of time around these parts tapping the collective brain on peripherals, etc.

Bill
Bill Fredette is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders