DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   CVF not clear? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/135439-cvf-not-clear.html)

Travis Hart October 8th, 2008 08:33 AM

CVF not clear?

I recently purchased a Canon XH A1 from a member of this community and everything seems to be in good working order. The built-in mic head is a little loose than I'd like, but that doesn't appear to effect it's working order (nor do I intend to use it as I mostly work with wireless lavalier systems).

What did strike me odd is that the CVF shows nothing but a blue blur. Now, am I missing something here or was I sold a unit with a broken CVF? I turned 'ON' the LCD and CVF option, so I don't think it is anything as simple as that (although I was told by the seller that it does have something to do with a MENU setting).

If anyone can help me out in figuring out as to why my LCD works perfect but my CVF is literally of no use, that would be fantastic.

Kevin Dorsey October 8th, 2008 10:13 AM

There is a tiny slider under the CVF, adjust it until the on screen text is clear.

Bill Pryor October 8th, 2008 10:25 AM

The built-in mic mount is supposed to be loose like that. It's sort of a shock mount.

Travis Hart October 8th, 2008 11:19 AM

::crosses fingers::

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Dorsey (Post 948362)
There is a tiny slider under the CVF, adjust it until the on screen text is clear.

I really hope that is the case as I definitely prefer a viewfinder over an LCD most of the time.

Travis Hart October 8th, 2008 11:20 AM

Shock mount, eh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 948373)
The built-in mic mount is supposed to be loose like that. It's sort of a shock mount.

Hmm, interesting and also reassuring.

Samuel Ko October 8th, 2008 12:12 PM

If you also look at the manual theres a little opening by the slider where you can stick a Q-tip in to clean off any dust that may have collected.

Travis Hart October 8th, 2008 01:04 PM

Well then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samuel Ko (Post 948422)
If you also look at the manual theres a little opening by the slider where you can stick a Q-tip in to clean off any dust that may have collected.

Thank you for the additional tip; I really hope one of these is the likely cause what it appears to be an out-of-focus blur of a CVF.

Bill Pryor October 8th, 2008 01:45 PM

If it's out of focus, it's got to be the focus slider.

Chris Hurd October 8th, 2008 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 948373)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Hart (Post 948398)
Hmm, interesting and also reassuring.

For more info, see http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...ems-loose.html

Travis Hart October 8th, 2008 03:24 PM

!!!

Uhh...upon further inspection and opening that little bay underneath (I'm assuming the one referenced for cleaning purposes) the viewfinder...I think the seller broke the slider (or wheel) off.

It's just a thin slit of a hole.

I'd hate to dirty his name here on this forum, but is it possible that I'm mistaken?

Bill Pryor October 8th, 2008 04:04 PM

Yep, I'd say it's broken off. You might be able to stick a toothpick or something like that in the hole and move the focus mechanism. It slides fairly easily.

Travis Hart October 8th, 2008 04:14 PM

Guiseppe Palumbo

I am very, very enraged. The toothpick idea sounded rather surefire, but it did nothing but rattle the entire innards of the CVF with the out-of-focus blue screen still as is.

I cannot believe this. This is just flat-out unacceptable.

Bill Pryor October 8th, 2008 05:05 PM

Could be you need to send it to Canon for a new VF.

Mike Flynn October 8th, 2008 05:52 PM

The thread that you bought the camera from states that the camera is still under warranty until 2010. Maybe warranty will cover it?

Travis Hart October 9th, 2008 11:06 AM

Warranty Question

How do I go about finding out if even that portion of the deal was legitimately true? Shouldn't there be a warranty card or something included or would I have to call up Canon and give them his name and what-not and have them transfer the warranty under my Canon ID?