Canon Service Issue - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 5th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #16
Regular Crew

we had a fire at my house on oct 16 and it was a pretty big fire which sent heat and smoke all over the house. My canon xh-a1 was upstairs out in the open with the lens cap off (but the UV lens on). It got dirty from all the smoke and though i hadn't tried recording yet, i did try to playback some minidv tapes and at first it was playing them, then it stopped.

This is the same thing which happened to my other camcorder a sony HC1 (much closer to the fire on the main level, but in a camera bag so it's not dirty at least). I recorded some footbage with my hc1 after the fire and went to playback and the camera didn't recognize there was a anything on the tape. I took the tape out and put in my xh-a1 and (when the xh-a1 was playing back tapes at first) saw that there was indeed footage recorded to it. However, sony said they would charge 511 just to look at the hc1 so my insurance said forget it (they are the onescovering cleaning/repair bills).

Anyways, i sent my xh-a1 to canon last week and they said they wouldn't charge just to look so let's see what happens. Hope to have positive feedback on this experience.
Old February 13th, 2009, 07:26 AM   #17
Major Player

Shahryar,

How long did it take to get your XH-a1 back from Canon?

Mine has been with them for over 5 weeks (tape transport problems) and I can't get a response (after a week of trying) to find out when it will be repaired and returned.

Phil
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Murray View Post
Shahryar,

How long did it take to get your XH-a1 back from Canon?

Mine has been with them for over 5 weeks (tape transport problems) and I can't get a response (after a week of trying) to find out when it will be repaired and returned.

Phil
Phil, I want to say say within a week or two weeks. It was pretty fast and I was really happy because they shipped back on their own. They had deemed the camera Beyond Economic Repair so I claimed it with insurance.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders