Canon Service Issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 9th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon Service Issue

Maybe this is just to vent, but has this happened to anyone else...

I sent in my A1 for a cleaning last week and got it back today. Upon turning it on, all I see are diagonal green and white lines... no image!

So I inspect around the camera and all sorts of little compartments and screw holes are open and exposed... who is OK'ing the work and sending a half-assembled camera back?

I already vented to Canon. And they just said "send it back in". Awesome. I guess, what else can they do?

More time and money wasted.
Ryan Postel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

i had similar issue of poor quality care, but in shipping two years ago with a canon gl1.....had a burnt out pixel, and sent in for repair to the NJ rpr facility. Each time it was sent back to me, there was damage through shipping. i would call them, send it back, they would repair the damage, then send it back unprotected in a cardboard box with plastic packing..not bubble wrapped. this happened three times, with the third shipment back to me totalling the camera...smashed lens, broken mike assembly etc. i had to call customer service in new york to get any action. this soured me on quality control, but customer service did come through with a new GL2.

bill
bothell, wa

Last edited by William Boehm; October 9th, 2008 at 12:47 PM. Reason: mispelling
William Boehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #3
Tourist

I just got my A1 back overnighted for warranty repair, apparently I blew a fuse during Ike.
It was quick and painless and so far I have had no issues. I hope it remains that way in the future.
David Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #4
Contributor

Are there different service centers in different parts of the country? Sending a camera back unprotected like that would be clearly a violation of any company's normal service procedures.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #5
New Boot

Canon service comments...

I was planning on sending my XH A1 in this week for some repairs and cant imagine it traveling in a lightly protected package. Has anyone else had issues with camera coming back in worse shape or being poorly packaged?
Mark Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
Are there different service centers in different parts of the country?
There are two. Full contact info for both at The Watchdog Skinny on the Canon XL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Scott View Post
cant imagine it traveling in a lightly protected package.
Whatever packaging *you* use to send it in, is the same box you get back. In other words, protected packaging is up to you. I always use a shipping case whenever I send anything to Canon Service, and strongly recommend nothing less than that.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Whatever packaging *you* use to send it in, is the same box you get back. In other words, protected packaging is up to you.
Hmm, yes, well that's what I'd been thinking. I used to work for Sony consumer service and that's pretty much how it worked.

I also worked in consumer electronics retail for years and always advised my customers to keep their original packaging, regardless of how inconvenient it was, in case the unit had to be sent back for warranty repair.

I do that with all the gear I buy... microwave, tv, computer etc. All the shipping boxes are up in the rafters in my garage.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

All Canon XH series camcorder owners in the U.S. should immediately join the XL / XH owner's club (link found in the right column of any XL or XH product page on Canon USA's web site; see Professional Camcorders - High Definition Camcorders and Lenses - Standard Definition Camcorders - Software - High Definition Camcorder - XH A1 - Canon USA Consumer Products

Among the benefits:

3. An annual discount on maintenance check, clean, and adjustments to factory specifications.

4. A loaner camcorder may be provided for repairs at the Factory Service Centers that exceed 5 business days (from Canon's receipt for warranty products and 5 business days or less from time of approval for out of warranty repairs). (Subject to availability, excludes Alaska and Hawaii)

I believe they also provide shipping cartons as well. If you need one, contact them and they'll send one to you for shipping your camera (hopefully this hasn't changed since I first heard of it).

Okay, I found it:

https://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/t...b_terms08.html

7. Free shipping containers to send your XL or XH Series body and up to two lenses for repair is available upon request to the XL/XH Series Owner's Club Hot Line. Members are responsible for all shipping charges to the Factory Service Center.

Hmm, they really need to proofread their copy for grammatical errors, but at least their shipping charges are no different from any other camera manufacturer -- they split the cost with you. You pay to get it there; they pay for the return shipping back to you. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 12:49 AM   #9
Tourist

I sent mine to the NJ center, in my original box Fedex Ground.
They repaired and cleaned, bagged my tape etc and sent back to me FedEx Overnight.
The Whole process was a little over a week including the weekend and my shipping to them.
The NJ is a bit farther than the California Center to me, but at a place I use to work we always sent to New Jersey, so i was comfortable with that.
Also they pay for shipping back to you, when under warranty.
David Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I sent mine to the NJ Repair Center.

The box that I shipped it in was definitely NOT the box I received it back in. It was roughly half the size and less than half the packaging support.

I am a part of the XL/XH Club and they quoted me on a $95 price for the cleaning/maintenance, two days later they emailed me a bill for $240. I told them repeatedly I was a part of the club, and it was even reflected in the bill, and yet it took 3 calls for them to realize their error in the price. Not like its incredibly expensive, but I have to get approval on my company for all spending and the leeway definitely does not go for more than double the cost.

I am just hoping it comes back in working condition.

Disappointing experience overall.
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #11
Regular Crew

in response to chris hurd's comment that canon ships back what you send them is not true in my experience....my carefully packaging the gl1 in not only bubble wrap, but also the large plastic air bags in an oversized box was not returned in the same box, but a different, undersized box. It was inadequately wrapped each time, to the point where it had to go to customer service. This again was the NJ canon repair center, and not the California center about 1.5 years ago. i am sure there shipping guy was retrained.

and i am a member of the owners club, which did help in refereeing the repair facility and my frustration. i am happy there have been changes since early 2007
bill, bothell, wa
canon hv20, xha1

Last edited by William Boehm; October 14th, 2008 at 12:08 PM. Reason: needed to ad one more comment
William Boehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #12
Regular Crew

William, not sure if there have necessarily been changes at the Repair center.

Just received my camera back for the second time, again in a different box. Again with terribly low amounts of packaging material. Looks like my mic is damaged. Looks like someone else needs to be retrained...
Old October 26th, 2008, 10:43 PM   #13
New Boot

I got mine back in a different box, well protected in bubble wrap. I am very happy with the turn around time, as well as the repair.
Mark Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 08:44 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I received my XHA1 back from service Wednesday..no issues..everything intact..they did remove all of my presets.but i had backups..other than no problems yet. i'llbe sending the other one in soon.
John Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #15
Regular Crew

owners club unavailable

Is the xl, xh owners club still availiable, I tried to go there but it sain unable to register? any thoughts?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders