Super SLOW MOTION test with A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 24th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Super SLOW MOTION test with A1

Went out for a quick test shoot to try out the TRUECOLOR preset, and also to get some footage to test out slow motion techniques in FCP. the smoothest shots were speed reduced 50% with frame blending and also a level of motion blur. seemed to come out really smooth. the slowest shots (close ups of the board) are reduced to 25% with the same method. definitely an amount of blur to the shots, but not too bad.

shot at 60i 1/120

aparantly I've used my 1 HD video for vimeo this week so it didn't upload in HD....

here it is:
Skateboarding in SLOW MOTION on Vimeo
Morgan Crossley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 07:42 AM   #2
Major Player

Looks decent, try upping the shutter to 1/180th next time, there was still some apparent bluring in your talent. 1/180th will get rid of that and it'll look really good.
Old October 26th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Check this out if you have AE
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...f-slow-mo.html
Steve Yager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #4
Major Player

This was a good trial for slow-mo on the A1. I commented on your vimeo page.

But what software did you use for the slowdown? Just feature built-in to FCP?
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 10:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the comment Will. Yes to slow it down I did it all in FCP. For the cleanest looking shots, I decreased the speed to 50% with frame blending. then i added a motion blur at 100%. this smoothed it out and looked really nice. the majority of the shots in the video however are slowed down to 25% and they look more choppy.
Morgan Crossley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #6
Major Player

I got sick slo-mo out of the a1 recently, I'm gonna make a long drawn out walk through thread for it but it's basically this:

Anything you want to shoot in slo-mo shoot at 60i with at least a shutter of 120.
Bring the clip into compressor and change it into 60p prores (my post will go over how to do this if you don't know).
Throw it into cinematools and conform it to 24p (this takes no time)
Import it back into fcp.

It's sounds like a lot but it's very easy and once you've got the compressor preset made once, just use it every time and it doesn't take long for compressor to do it's thing and takes literally no time to do it in cinematools.

It looks perfect. For fun I once told compressor on a clip with a shutter of 250 to make it 120p and that works too.

After that other than colour space there's pretty much nothing I feel the hvx has on the a1.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:11 PM   #7
Regular Crew

sorry to bring up a dead horse...

Morgan... Your video was posted on Youtube... It was one of the ones I kept going back to when I was looking to buy my XH-A1...

Thank you... Because of your video (As well as others) I got my A1...

FYI... I like the video
Old June 10th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nelson View Post
sorry to bring up a dead horse...

Morgan... Your video was posted on Youtube... It was one of the ones I kept going back to when I was looking to buy my XH-A1...

Thank you... Because of your video (As well as others) I got my A1...

FYI... I like the video
Thanks a lot Scott. I cross posted it on Youtube, and it makes me really happy to hear that you liked my video. Also that's great you got your A1!

happy shooting.
Morgan Crossley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders