Cinematic Armed Robbery Sequence at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 30th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #1
New Boot

Cinematic Armed Robbery Sequence

This is a clip from my upcoming short film titled 'The Howl and the Blood of a Charmless Nut'. Shot on the XH-A1 handheld using the E-gripz. I was lucky to have the gas station shop lent for this scene.

Originalcrush Special Feature #1
Carlos Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Hey Carlos, I really liked what I saw! Shot composition was there, your cc was good (what did you cc with? or was that just an a1 preset?), and the handheld was dynamic and felt good, not forced.

That said you've got to be the only person on earth I've ever seen admit to use the ez-grip, but you pulled it off nicely. Honestly clips like this prove dof doesn't always need to be big deal people (myself included) always make it out to be.

One thing is that second big gun looked fake, the glock looked pretty real.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 08:38 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for your comment Evan. I did not make any color correction as I usually do, but I did make some levels correction in FCP to darken the blacks just a little. I am actually very curious to try any 35mm adapter sometime, but I'm convinced that the film look and feeling depends on much more than just DOF. Also, the e-gripz might be a cheap tool but it works like a charm.

The short film to which this sequence belongs to has a very cartoon-ish environment so hopefully the fake gun look won't matter that much. Still, you're totally right, it was a really cheap toy.
Old November 1st, 2008, 11:57 AM   #4
New Boot

I liked the composition, editing, and the look of it. What preset did you use? If you don't mind me asking.
Rashdan Radha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 12:11 PM   #5
New Boot

I don't mind at all. I used Steven Dempsey's VividRGB for all the shots, always adjusting the levels in FCP of course
Old November 3rd, 2008, 08:37 PM   #6
Regular Crew

not to sound completely ignorant, but what is an EZ-grip / E-grip?
Takashi Doscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi Doscher View Post
not to sound completely ignorant, but what is an EZ-grip / E-grip?
The Egripz is a very useful (and cheap) handheld support I purchased not long ago.

Anton/Bauer-EgripZ
Old November 5th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #8
Major Player

I looked up the american price and now I know why you bought it, it is cheap. For some reason here in canada a Varizoom VZ1 shoulder support costs less than the egripz.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders