Console sw does not recognize XHA1 in Vista at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 2nd, 2008, 12:29 PM   #1
Tourist

Console sw does not recognize XHA1 in Vista

I just downloaded a trial version of the Console software on my laptop that has Vista Home Premium.

The operating system recognizes the camera on firewire and installs the XH A1 driver ok.

But when I launch the console software, it still cannot recognize the camcorder.

Is this a quirk of Vista? Has anyone run into this and solved it?

I tried the same experiment with another laptop I have with XP on it, and it worked fine and the trial version of Canon Console software able to recognize the XH A1 over firewire.
Shailesh Trivedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 01:39 PM   #2
Contributor

I'd get rid of Vista and install XP on the laptop.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 07:00 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
I'd get rid of Vista and install XP on the laptop.
Not to sound rude, but isn't that a bit like throwing your car away because the ash tray is full?

It seems the XP/Vista debate is approaching the proportions of the old Mac/PC scrum.

There are many who live quite happily with Vista, and others who've had nothing but grief with it. Vista is what's now and XP will shortly shuffle off to the land of the unsupported. But wait... Shailesh is having a problem with a software trial. Not sure he wants to redo his entire system just for that.

Shailesh... you might want to uninstall the Console software and re-install it. That will sometimes clean up wonky software. You might also want to check the support site for Console for any read-mes, FAQs and other data that might help you. I haven't seen too much about Console here.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 10:01 PM   #4
Major Player

Shailesh,

I would try
1. Set the Console program to run in Windows XP compatability mode.
2. Rerun the program - does it now work?

Let us know the results, good or bad.
Shouldn't take long to try!
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2008, 03:40 PM   #5
Contributor

Didn't mean to insult anybody, I assumed it would be fairly easy to install the other OS since he has two systems already and it works fine with XP. If he installs XP in the laptop and everything works, that would show it's Vista, but if it didn't work, then there's some other problem.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #6
Tourist

All,

Thanks for your feedback and mindshare in this matter. Yes I did uninstall and reinstall the software. I tried different combinations of starting console first then the camera and vice versa etc, to no avail.

Then I sent an email to Canon support asking for support on the console sw for Vista and the replied back saying the Console Software is not supported on Vista.

I guess that sums it up for me.

Shailesh
Shailesh Trivedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #7
Wrangler

Wondering if we might get reports from anyone who actually HAS had success running the current version of Console on a Vista machine?

Are any special steps like XP compatibility mode needed to get it to run?

At this point in time where you really have to go out of your way to have XP rather than Vista on a new laptop, I'd have to say it would be unsatisfactory for such expensive software not to be updated to run on Vista. If it turns out that this is more than a specific issue with Shailesh's computer and Console really doesn't run properly on Vista, even in XP Compatibility Mode, I'll have to admit to being a bit disappointed and surprised. See:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/676103-post5.html

The only Vista machine I have access to at the moment is my daughter's laptop. If I have time and can get my hands on the computer, I'll try installing Console on it and see if it recognizes my XL cameras.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders