Canon upgrades - XH A1s and XH G1s - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 5th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #16
Major Player

Interesting upgrades:
- Can record to internal and external mic at same time
- Ability to zoom and focus at same time
- Ability to speed ramp and smooth starts and stops in zooms
- New "shockless" white balance smoothes out change from one color temp to another
- Ability to step gain in 0.5dB increments
- New noise reduction function for "keying and effects work"?
- Manual audio limiter
- Metal headphone jack
- Simultaneous use of the EVF and LCD
- Full endorsement of Focus Enhancements FS-CV recorder instead of making their own
- Can display FS-CV's data on the camera LCD
- The second Component output is labeled as "EVF Monitor Output Terminal" what does this even mean? You could always monitor through component. Can anyone clarify this? I might have to give Canon a call.

G1 Specific:
- Sends flags through HD-SDI when using 24f, making pulldown removal much easier
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 12:49 PM   #17
Major Player

I'll put the announcement up later, but on Weds. Dec. 10th at 6pm, Canon will be here to Debut the A1s and G1s in LA.

Jim Martin
Birns & Sawyer Inc
"At the ArcLight"
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Wonder if it can do the #1 requested thing for the A1 - OIS on a custom button. :)

Not worth upgrading for me. Scarlet is definitely my next camera. I am not buying another tape-based cam.
Old November 5th, 2008, 12:58 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Even Solberg View Post
Wonder if it can do the #1 requested thing for the A1 - OIS on a custom button. :)

Not worth upgrading for me. Scarlet is definitely my next camera. I am not buying another tape-based cam.
Good question. OIS from a custom button should have been done from the start.

Agreed I won't get an A1s unless I absolutely find a reason to. That said there are plenty of tapeless options for tape based stuff now. I haven't shot any tape in my A1 for over a month.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #20
Wrangler

I like the official support for the Focus Enhancements FS-CV; with the six-pin firewire port, that gives me a new level of confidence in that rig. Interestingly, Canon added a new technology logo: 3CCD Super Low Light. That's the only place I've seen it, so it doesn't look like they're going out of their way to highlight it.
Old November 5th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan C. King View Post
[b]Interesting upgrades:- The second Component output is labeled as "EVF Monitor Output Terminal" what does this even mean? You could always monitor through component. Can anyone clarify this?
I suspect this is the equivalent of the XL H1a/s second EVF port. With a normal component out, you won't get all your little display icons and peaking, etc. The XL cameras have a second round, multi-pin EVF jack and come with a short cable with the EVF connector on one end and component connectors on the other end; this allows you to attach to ANY component capable monitor and see the same display as with the camera's EVF.

In the case of the XH cameras, the main EVF and LCD are integral to the camera, so I guess they just decided to output the second EVF signal through component jacks so you can use any component cable to use, say, your new 52" HDTV as if it were your EVF. Very nice.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 02:13 PM   #22
Regular Crew

A bit disappointing in my opinion. My biggest peeve about the current A1 is the useless lcd screen, which doesn't seem to be addressed. I'm glad they fixed being able to focus while zooming, but the rest of the upgrades seem pretty minimal and think that most of these upgrades should have been a firmware update for the current a1. I was also hoping for a CF recording option as well...
Jaron Tauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
it's for people looking to add a second one to their roster or incentive for people who haven't got one yet.
I just wonder why Canon has decided to raise the price that much. I bought mine about 2 months ago for 3000 euro and a Dutch videocompany was talking about a salesprice of 4500 euro for the new version.

One of the reasons why the xh-a1 was such a big seller was the low price considering what it had to offer. The pana hmc150 is priced here 3600 euro. That suddenly means it's 900 euro cheaper if above suggested salesprice would be correct. If I would be buying a 2nd or a new one now it wouldn't be a hard choice, but not in favor of the canon.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Interesting upgrades:
- Can record to internal and external mic at same time
- Ability to zoom and focus at same time
- Ability to speed ramp and smooth starts and stops in zooms
- New "shockless" white balance smoothes out change from one color temp to another
- Ability to step gain in 0.5dB increments
- New noise reduction function for "keying and effects work"?
- Manual audio limiter
- Metal headphone jack
- Simultaneous use of the EVF and LCD
- Full endorsement of Focus Enhancements FS-CV recorder instead of making their own
- Can display FS-CV's data on the camera LCD
- The second Component output is labeled as "EVF Monitor Output Terminal" what does this even mean? You could always monitor through component. Can anyone clarify this? I might have to give Canon a call.

G1 Specific:
- Sends flags through HD-SDI when using 24f, making pulldown removal much easier
The more granular gain setting is one of the most exciting for me. Having only 3db then 9db for wedding receptions is really restricting - 9db has too much noise and 3db is just short of what I need.
Old November 5th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sobodos View Post
The more granular gain setting is one of the most exciting for me. Having only 3db then 9db for wedding receptions is really restricting - 9db has too much noise and 3db is just short of what I need.
You mean 6db and 12db right? I find 12db on the a1 too much as well, but as far as I knew the a1 doesn't have a 9db setting.
Jaron Tauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #26
Major Player

Canon release new cameras

here you go

About Canon: Press Room > Press Release
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #27
Major Player

New Cameras!

Canon announces XH A1S and XH G1S prosumer HD camcorders - Engadget
Old November 5th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #28
Major Player

Interesting, it looks like it comes in the shape body as the old A1, although looks like the they have changed where the comp out etc come from.

Not as many upgrade features as I would have thought though...

Here's some more info

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...ModelDetailAct

Looks like they supply a better eye piece too
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Underwhelmed - I was hoping for more significant upgrades - solid state recording, improved sensors, .....

Canon's prosumer offerings are long in the tooth - IMO.
Rick Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #30
Major Player

I've been trying to figure out what's new in for the A1S? Anyone know? It looks like the same darn thing exactly.
Deke Ryland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders