live feed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 5th, 2008, 07:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

live feed

Hi everyone,

I've a customer asking me to cover and event with a couple of speakers. That's fine but they want to feed the XHA1 camera signal live to another city. I have no idea on how to do this, I guess that I would have to use an special software which uploads the signal to a server? any special hardware required?

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks!
Guillermo Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 08:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

have a look at Apple - QuickTime - Streaming Server

I've Never used streaming servers but it sounds like an interesting product.

Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd
Ian Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 09:31 AM   #3
Major Player

Streaming Server will work, but you will need a computer running Mac OS X Server (or an Xserve), a computer to do the encoding, and a very high bandwidth internet connection. The server will also have to have a static IP address, so the remote location can just type it into their browser and see the feed.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #4
Trustee

It might be simpler to use a conventional leased line. Couldn't comment about the cost or equipment involved, but people have been doing it this way for decades.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks everyone for your comments.

I thought about the possibility of the apple stream server but It sounds a bit too technical for me or is it quite straight forward? What about the leased line?
As I didn't know what it was, I looked for a definition --> 'A leased line is a symmetric telecommunications line connecting two locations'
Do you hire that line with a telecommunications company directly? Is it only a matter of connecting two computers? one at each end of the line?

Maybe I'm trying to reach too much with this!

thanks!

---- I've found out companies in the internet who could supply the streaming server. Basically you just send the signal to their server and they stream it through the internet. They're a bit pricey --> $1500 for a one time event.
Considering that I get this service how do you combine the signal of two cameras? I mean, is there any special software which I could use or is it some sort of switch (hardware)?

Thanks again!

Last edited by Guillermo Ibanez; November 6th, 2008 at 01:20 PM.
Guillermo Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #6
Major Player

You could use a digital switcher, or an analog one with an analog to digital converter.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders