DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Silly oversight, unexpected results... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/137421-silly-oversight-unexpected-results.html)

Bill Warshaw November 8th, 2008 12:23 PM

Silly oversight, unexpected results...

Hi,

I recently shot a stage performance with my XH-A1 in 1080i, 60 fields/sec. I edited it in Vegas 8.0 using the appropriate settings. However, when I later fired up Vegas to render out to TMPEnc for SD DVD, by accident I changed the Vegas project settings to HDV 1080-24p (I mostly shoot in HDV 24p, and I forgot that this footage was recorded 60i). TMPGEnc was set to render a 24p SD DVD. When I played the resulting MPG file back on my TV, the video was sharp with clean edges (as would be the case with progressive) and yet appeared to have less "judder" than typical 24p.

I was somewhat suprised by this. I assumed that by transforming 60i original footage to 24p the results would be sub-optimal, but in fact it looked very good! It seems like the best of both worlds; sharpness and no edge aliasing combined with less judder!

Does anyone shoot/render this way as their standard operating proceedure? Could I get the same results but just increasing the shutter speed from 48 to 60 when filming HD 24P? I'm interested to hear others thoughts on why this turned out so nice.

/BILLW

Tripp Woelfel November 8th, 2008 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Warshaw (Post 961117)
Does anyone shoot/render this way as their standard operating proceedure? Could I get the same results but just increasing the shutter speed from 48 to 60 when filming HD 24P?

Doubt it and no, to answer the questions above.

Curious if the DVD ended up being 24p because the only logical thing I can think of is that it pulled down the source footage to 30fps. That would explain the lack of judder.

To expect footage to go from 24p to 30p and back to 24p and retain all of its quality is not logical.

Bottom line is that if this workflow gives you what you want, use it. Even if it makes no sense.

Bill Warshaw November 8th, 2008 09:51 PM

Hi Tripp,

Thanks for the response. The original footage was 1080i to HD 24P Project setting in Vegas, to 24P SD DVD. So it was just one framerate conversion from 1080i (60i) to 24p in Vegas and then down to SD 24P in TMPGEnc. I checked the MPEG file with GSPOT and does show 23.976 pictures/sec.

Still, I agree that the results were somewhat counter intuative.

/BILLW

Adrian Stucker November 13th, 2008 12:29 PM

60i to 24p

Yes! I do this for almost all my shooting. I'm surprised that not many others are responding to this. In the professional film community I'm in here in Ohio, shooting 60i and rendering to 24p is standard operation. Shooting 60i gives you the flexibility of 60i and you can always get the great look of 24p later. especially if you want to use some slow motion and your not sure what you'll be slowing down later. 60i is immensely better for slow motion.