Comparison photos: XH G1S vs. XH G1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 14th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Comparison photos: XH G1S vs. XH G1

So here are some comparison pics which will show you some of the physical differences between the original XH G1 / A1 and the newer XH G1S / A1S (remember the A models are identical to the G models except for the pro jacks... SDI, TC and GenLock).

1. Gone from the new "S" class XH cameras is the dreaded Standby / Lock switch, which has caused so many uninformed G1 / A1 owners to assume that their camcorder was dead (in Lock mode the camcorder is rendered completely inoperative except for VCR mode). The switch has been removed from the new S models, which will probably save countless numbers of service calls.

2. The screws holding the removable mic clamp are now much larger; going from jeweler's size on the previous cameras to a standard size which can be handled by the average everyday Philips head screwdriver. The clamp itself is now shock-mounted with a lot of give; this piece is no longer the most easily broken item on the XH camcorder series.

3. The hand grip is much larger and is the same one used on the XL H1S and XL H1A camcorders.

4. Audio pots are marked with number values and the mid-point position is changed 90 degrees to vertical. The switch formerly controlling Auto vs. Manual audio levels has a new function; it's now a positive lock which ensures that the audio recording levels won't change if the pots are moved, unless the switch is set to the "off" position. Basically this prevents a change in recording level if the pots are touched by accident.
Attached Thumbnails
Comparison photos: XH G1S vs. XH G1-rectriggerg1.jpg   Comparison photos: XH G1S vs. XH G1-rectriggerg1s.jpg  

Comparison photos: XH G1S vs. XH G1-clampg1.jpg   Comparison photos: XH G1S vs. XH G1-clampg1s.jpg  

Comparison photos: XH G1S vs. XH G1-gripg1.jpg   Comparison photos: XH G1S vs. XH G1-gripg1s.jpg  

Comparison photos: XH G1S vs. XH G1-audiopotsg1.jpg   Comparison photos: XH G1S vs. XH G1-audiopotsg1s.jpg  

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 12:56 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

1. The only change to the front of the XLR block is that the switches used to have red flags... now they don't.

2. The top of the XLR block has some re-purposed switches... the two on the right side of the block (formerly Line / Mic and Ch.1 > Ch.1, Ch.2) are now changed to configure the audio recording level as Auto or Manual for each channel.

3. There's now a raised bezel around the WB Set button and the AGC and AWB switches. There's a larger bezel along the bottom of the lower left switch row.

4. The Exposure Lock button now functions as a momentary Push-AE when shooting in Manual mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Comparison photos: XH G1S vs. XH G1-audiofrontg1.jpg   Comparison photos: XH G1S vs. XH G1-audiofrontg1s.jpg  

Comparison photos: XH G1S vs. XH G1-audiotopg1.jpg   Comparison photos: XH G1S vs. XH G1-audiotopg1s.jpg  

Comparison photos: XH G1S vs. XH G1-leftsideg1.jpg   Comparison photos: XH G1S vs. XH G1-leftsideg1s.jpg  

Comparison photos: XH G1S vs. XH G1-explockg1.jpg   Comparison photos: XH G1S vs. XH G1-explockg1s.jpg  

Old November 14th, 2008, 01:01 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

1. The eyecup is a removable rubber hood which can be slipped onto the EVF and positioned for either right-eye-dominant or left-eye-dominant orientations.

2. The name of the selected Custom Preset now appears in the EVF, but remains on screen for only about five seconds or so, after which it reverts to its CP number (this function is identical to the XL H1S and XL H1A).

3. The connections block has removeable covers for all of the various jacks and terminals.

4. Somebody commented that they had not seen any photos of the camera's right side, so here they are.
Attached Thumbnails
Comparison photos: XH G1S vs. XH G1-eyecuptopg1s.jpg   Comparison photos: XH G1S vs. XH G1-eyecupbackg1s.jpg  

Comparison photos: XH G1S vs. XH G1-presetname.jpg   Comparison photos: XH G1S vs. XH G1-signaloutmenu.jpg  

Comparison photos: XH G1S vs. XH G1-rightobrearg1s.jpg   Comparison photos: XH G1S vs. XH G1-rearobg1s.jpg  

Comparison photos: XH G1S vs. XH G1-rightobliqueg1s.jpg   Comparison photos: XH G1S vs. XH G1-rightsideg1s.jpg  

Old November 16th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

The audio setup menu has obviously been revamped; I didn't get any pictures of it, but it's very similar to the audio setup menu of the XL H1S / XL H1A (see those photos at Canon XL H1S / XL H1A - DV Info Net Gallery).

Basically, the XH G1S / XH A1S has been brought up to the same level and same capability (regarding audio, gain control, custom presets, etc.) as the XL H1S / XL H1A. The idea is that all four cameras match now.

Old November 16th, 2008, 01:16 AM   #5
Major Player

Wow, excellent information, Chris, as usual. I didn't even have to hold my XH-A1 up to the screen in order to see the difference. :)
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 01:21 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

I forgot to take a right rear oblique of the XH G1... oops.

Old November 16th, 2008, 02:14 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
I forgot to take a right rear oblique of the XH G1... oops.
Little Christopher, go to your corner for a timeout! :)

Thanks for the photos & info!
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:45 AM   #8
New Boot

Has anyone heard if you are able to buy the eyecup separately?
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:56 AM   #9
Regular Crew

you can buy a sony eyecup that fits the xha1 I think if my memory serves me right that there about $38.00 do a search for sony eyecup and you should find it.

Regards Alan
Alan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #10
Major Player

I find it both amusing and gratifying that Canon has included a new eye piece cup that looks like and functions in a way similar to the Sony eyecup (on the Canon camera). Both are loose and can be pulled up into position or rotated for left or right eye use. Both can be loosened and pushed back out of the way if you have a snug fitting camera bag. Canon does pay attention to what people are doing with their cameras and what they seem to want.

Pat
Pat Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #11
Contributor

At last--they removed the totally useless standby/lock switch. I think I've got one frantic call from just about every XH A1 owner in this area: "My camera won't come on!" Just last week was the latest call, from a friend shooting in Arkansas. It was the usual problem, switch accidentally flipped.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
At last--they removed the totally useless standby/lock switch. I think I've got one frantic call from just about every XH A1 owner in this area: "My camera won't come on!" Just last week was the latest call, from a friend shooting in Arkansas. It was the usual problem, switch accidentally flipped.
I like the standby switch myself. But as for dumb mistakes, the one that caught me was having the custom profile switched off. In other words, I could see changes take place in the LCD when I would adjust the profile, but as soon as I left the menu it went back to default because I didn't have the custom preset button toggled.

One area where I think the XH-A1 could use some improvement, is when the zoom rocker is in the variable speed mode. The rocker switch is small and sensitive. I ended up using it in the continuous speed mode instead. The EX1 rocker is a little better in this regard.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
I like the standby switch myself.
I do as well. I use it exclusively to turn the camera on and off between shots. Perhaps this is because I started using consumer camcorders over a decade ago and they all powered up that way.

We're all comfortable with what we're used to.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
1. The only change to the front of the XLR block is that the switches used to have red flags... now they don't.
Now that's odd - my 1 year old PAL XH-A1 doesn't have any red flags on these switches either. I have it in front of me because I just checked when I read that.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #15
Major Player

I don't have red flags on mine (PAL 1 yr Old) either, I don't think that it would be a deal breaker for me though ;)
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders