time lapse - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 20th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Haycock View Post
The GL2/XM2 interval recording feature doesn't give smooth results - even at its shortest time settings, you get a jerky result because it records the equivalent of several frames each time.
I have to disagree. I've gotten some great, fluid time lapse shots with the GL2. Maybe it depends on the speed you choose in post.
Old November 20th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Usher View Post
Travis, I just started to post a reply but hit the TAB key - a habit from using Eudora for email - and I don't know whether the reply was deleted or what, so here goes again!

As far as I know the GL2 doesn't do single-frame captures but it does have a feature called "Interval Timer" that can be set to take a burst of frames every x seconds (etc). However, according to page 69 of the GL2 manual, the minimum burst is half a second, i.e. 15 frames, which is probably not ideal.

If you are happy to work in SD, you can connect the XHA1 to a Mac via the FireWire port, and use a program such as SecuritySpy to capture single frames at whatever interval you choose. The program can present them to you as a movie. You will need to deactivate the Power Save function on the XHA1 or else the camera will turn itself off, even with the tape removed or the camera set to card. The simplest way seems to be to use the mains power adapter in place of the battery, but I see that you can deactivate the Power Save function via the Customize menu also.

I have just finished digitizing a number of old 8 mm standard 8 home movies that date back to 1937 (when I was one year old), and in a sense this was like a time-lapse capture. However, for this I used a modified projector, a Vivitar VHE enlarging lens, and a Sony DXC-950 3 CCD color camera. The program of choice for this was CaptureMate, which captures one frame for each (automated) push of the mouse button. If you have an interval timer switch, you could use a similar setup with the XHA1. But again, you would need to work in SD.
- David
Thanks, David. Appreciate the post.
Old November 21st, 2008, 03:12 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
I have to disagree. I've gotten some great, fluid time lapse shots with the GL2. Maybe it depends on the speed you choose in post.
Or perhaps on how much the subject is moving. Or a combination of the two.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders