Will 30F prevent interlacing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 18th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Will 30F prevent interlacing?

Sorry if that is a noob question, but that is what I am.
Arif Syed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:55 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Arif,

"Will 30F prevent interlacing?" is a question that probably isn't being asked quite the right way. Interlace isn't something that you try to prevent, as if it were an unwanted anomaly. Interlace is intentional. However, interlace might not be the right way to shoot in the first place, especially if your final destination is web video delivery.

Interlace is one particular way to shoot. Progressive (that is, Frame mode) is another way to shoot. Each have their proper applications.

In normal interlace video, the camera records 60 fields (two fields per frame) per second to tape. Within any frame of video, the two fields which make it up are separated by 1/60th of a second.

In 30F, which is a progressive mode, the camera still records 60 fields (two fields per frame) per second to tape. But the difference with 30F is that both fields are acquired at the exact same moment in time... meaning, these two fields which make up a frame are *not* separated by 1/60th of a second.

And I think that's what you're after. Does this make sense to you?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. I intend on transporting to the web but on DVD as well. Will 30F hurt my quality if I put it on a DVD to watch on a television?
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #4
Trustee

Chris' answer is a brilliantly accurate way to say no to your original question. To be honest, I'm still searching out all available information on this corner of our black art.

To answer your second question, no... sort of. You won't lose resolution but it will effect the way your video looks. Now, we're in the realm of the subjective.

I have two examples that might seem contradictory. When I shoot motor racing I shoot 60i because 30f would "hurt" my footage with jerky whip pans. When I shoot nature (generally not wildlife), I shoot 24f (a more extreme version of 30f) because I think it looks more organic and conducive to my subject matter.

Your question enters an area where, although technical considerations do matter, it becomes more of a personal preference. Will you lose any resolution with either. No. All the video information will be there in both cases. But the differences in the way each captures each frame will result in differences in the way it looks in the final product.

I think the best way to find out is to try it both ways and see what looks best to you in the context of what you are trying to convey with the images. You're the artist. You can learn how to create what you want.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I think ill make this my noob question topic on all issues. Just to tell you guys, I got an XH-A1 as a gift..yeah an XH-A1.....im just amazed as you guys. I was expecting a HV30, but they took it a step further for my gift and I am very grateful and blessed.

The XH-A1 very different from the cameras I fell in love with years ago, but it looks like it will produce for me A LOT more.

Im just going to spill out a bunch of questions. I was over at the XH Sample Clips forum and the quality of the videos over there are simply mind-blowing. How much of the work to make the picture look pristine is done outside of actually shooting? Meaning the color correction in Final Cut Pro or other programs? How much can presets such as Panalook2 or VividRGB help? Is manual mode essential to attain a great quality picture?

Sorry if I am sounding like a nag.
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #6
Trustee

As a format 30F would do very well for both the web and for DVD.

For web video 30F can also be cut in half to 15 frames per second. For web, by using 30F you don't have to deinterlace (like you have to when going to the web from 60i).

There are other artistic and practical considerations depending on exactly what you are shooting, but in general, 30F is a good jumping off point and can give excellent results for both DVD and the web.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders