Sell Me On The XH-A1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 20th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
but my point is that Canon has placed the A1S at the same price as the A1 was when it was new.
Not in Europe, the xh-a1 allways had a price around 3400 Euro since it came out, that's why i was surprised the 1s was so much more expensive. The only reason why I had to pay less was for a temporary cash back from Canon and because I found a dealer that sold it at bottomprice. Ofcourse the cashback is also a temporary discount to clear their inventory like you said.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I would be using it mostly to shoot weddings. How is it in low light situations? And stupid questions, but 24f mode, that is supposed to be like 24p I assume. What is the difference? What is 60i and 30f? And it still shoots standard definition, right (another stupid question)?

Sorry for all the obviously stupid questions, but I'm an editor first and only really shoot when I need to.
Daniel Fessak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #18
Major Player

One thing on the new updated cams that kind of interests me is the way the handle strap is orientated. It's the same slant as the DVX and makes it more comfortable to hand hold.

Any comment on that Chris H.?

Thanks
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
I've never understood that way of thinking; I consider it to be a false economy. The money is something you spend one time. The camera is something you use consistently, over and over again. I'd much rather spend a little extra and have the upgrades -- in my opinion that's well worth a few bucks. If the camera is a business tool, then it's going to earn that money back anyway...
Although I don't always subscribe to Chris' theory, in this case it's definitely worth it. The A1s addresses all of the significant shortcomings of the camera's functionality. Even if you pay US$200 for the A1s over a new A1, you could easily save that and more if you need to source audio from a mic and line input simultaneously. A good line/mic mixer will cost much more than that.

Quote:
...In the U.S., the MSRP is the same between the A1 and the A1S... in the U.S. it's $3999 for either camera. It's standard procedure for dealers to discount older inventory to clear the way for new products, but my point is that Canon has placed the A1S at the same price as the A1 was when it was new.
I don't think I've ever seen the A1 ever advertised at any retailer at MSRP. Oh wait. I did see that price at the big box electronics store that just went chapter 11. I got mine for about US$3,250 in October 2007 after US$250 rebate. Price is now US$3,100 without rebate. It will be interesting to see what the A1s street pricing ends up being.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fessak View Post
I would be using it mostly to shoot weddings.
To follow up on your previous questions, if you're using it for this I'd recommend the A1s. You'll want to new functionality.

Quote:
How is it in low light situations?
That's a huge thread in and of itself. Oh wait. I think there is at least one. (grin) Try this one first.http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...non-xh-a1.html

Quote:
And stupid questions, but 24f mode, that is supposed to be like 24p I assume. What is the difference?
It's functionally equivalent to 24p. Canon's implementation is sufficiently unique that they call it it 24f. I could bore you with details. Oh... actually I can't.

Quote:
What is 60i and 30f? And it still shoots standard definition, right?
60i= 60 fields per second/interlaced 30f= 30 frames per second/progressive

It will shoot SD but most (including me) like to shoot HDV and convert to SD in the camera during transfer to the pc.

Last edited by Tripp Woelfel; November 21st, 2008 at 08:44 AM.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
24f mode, that is supposed to be like 24p I assume. What is the difference?
There is no difference between 24F and 24p.

Quote:
What is 60i and 30f?
60i is the normal interlace mode. 30F is 30p, which is the progressive scan mode. The difference is in the look of the video.

Quote:
And it still shoots standard definition, right
Yes, all those frame rates in standard definition as well as HD.

Quote:
Sorry for all the obviously stupid questions...
Daniel, on this site there is no such thing as a stupid question. The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked, because somebody might be afraid to ask it. We tend to get highly annoyed and mildly belligerent with frequently asked questions, no doubt about that. But there are no stupid questions here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Panado View Post
One thing on the new updated cams that kind of interests me is the way the handle strap is orientated. It's the same slant as the DVX and makes it more comfortable to hand hold.

Any comment on that Chris H.?
Well there's no change in the orientation really -- it's just a bigger hand strap (the same one that's on the XL H1S / H1A). It's much bigger and definitely more comfortable than the old one, that's for sure.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #22
Wrangler

Quote:
Having OIS as a button instead of a menu item makes a huge difference.
I've got the XH A1...started drooling as soon as I read what Chris said about the tactile feeling of the control rings; but Daniel, if you're ever going to shoot off-tripod, read this again and know from someone who knows....you want the OIS as a button instead of a menu item. That is the one thing I can barely stand about my sweet camera.
Old November 20th, 2008, 08:38 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Thanks for answering all my stupid questions. If you ever have a silly Avid one, let me know and we'll be even.

Heres another one- what is OIS? And why why do you shoot HD and then convert to SD? What is the advantage of that?
Daniel Fessak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #24
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
what is OIS?
Optical Image Stabilization -- helps eliminate shake when holding the camera by hand.
Quote:
And why why do you shoot HD and then convert to SD? What is the advantage of that?
HD downconverted to SD yields a better looking SD image.

It also future-proofs your material if you ever want to go back and work with it in HD.

Old November 21st, 2008, 06:26 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
...if you're ever going to shoot off-tripod, read this again and know from someone who knows....you want the OIS as a button instead of a menu item. That is the one thing I can barely stand about my sweet camera.
OK, question...can you set a custom key to control the OIS, like on my GL2?

This whole A1, A1s thing is killin' me.
In February I will have enough cash put aside to buy the A1 at B&H's current price, which is just over 3K.
At least that was the plan.

Now I don't know what to do.
Do I save up the extra to get the A1s at an unknown higher price, or pick up a used A1 for less...

Arggghh....
Old November 21st, 2008, 07:11 AM   #26
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thieda View Post
...can you set a custom key to control the OIS, like on my GL2?
Yes -- see http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/965399-post66.html

Remember, the money is spent just once -- the camera is used over and over again.

Old November 21st, 2008, 08:11 AM   #27
Wrangler

For what it's worth, I've owned an A1 for something like a year and a half, have used it to shoot everything from short films to paid jobs where it was cut against cameras like the F900. It's been a solid camera and I have enjoyed it. Incidentally I use a Blackmagic Intensity Pro card to capture it as ProRes for editing--have never cut in HDV.
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:02 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thieda View Post
Now I don't know what to do.
Do I save up the extra to get the A1s at an unknown higher price, or pick up a used A1 for less...
For me that would be an easy choice. If money would be no problem I would have bought a hd shouldercam long ago, also money spend once as chris said and its the camera that you use over and over again. But unfortunately most people, like me, are on a tight budget and (In europe) 1500 euro more is a lot of money. You get what you can afford and for me that would be the A1. Eventhough the a1s is an improved camera it will not mean I will make better productions with it.

Last edited by Noa Put; November 21st, 2008 at 10:16 AM.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 10:38 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
For what it's worth, I've owned an A1 for something like a year and a half, have used it to shoot everything from short films to paid jobs where it was cut against cameras like the F900. It's been a solid camera and I have enjoyed it. Incidentally I use a Blackmagic Intensity Pro card to capture it as ProRes for editing--have never cut in HDV.
Charles, maybe a dumb question, but when you capture footage as ProRes, is the Intensity Pro tethered to your XHA1 or do you go from tape to Intensity to editor?
Greg Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:03 AM   #30
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
Since this came up, I'll ask a couple of additional details:

What software are you using to edit?
What computer are you using (processor, motherboard, video card)?

Thanks!
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders