DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   documentary trailer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/138092-documentary-trailer.html)

Jeff Nelson November 19th, 2008 10:21 PM

documentary trailer

Finally getting around to finishing a documentary I shot last year, with my trusty A-1 of course. It's not quite done yet, but I put together this promo:

Processed People Promo

Cheers.

Michael Wisniewski November 20th, 2008 12:46 AM

Very nice! I liked it a lot. Can't wait till it comes out.

Jeremy Nemeth November 20th, 2008 09:12 PM

Very nice, this look like a very intriguing documentary... You put everything together very well... Keep up the good work...

Jeff Nelson November 21st, 2008 04:24 PM

Thanks much, guys.

Mitch Hunt November 23rd, 2008 10:29 PM

Very good!

I was just wondering what post production software you used here, and if there was any color correction done. The trailer looks great!

Jeff Nelson November 23rd, 2008 10:37 PM

Hi Mitch: I use Final Cut Pro and did some color correction there using the 3-way-color corrector, but nothing too much, mainly for exposure, and crushed the blacks a bit. But it actually looks more washed out in what I uploaded to the web than what the corrected version looks like on a TV monitor here.

Daniel Bates November 23rd, 2008 11:22 PM

I like it - your interviews look very well lit.

Rob Cook November 25th, 2008 01:34 AM

Nice work...But I'm FAT!

Matt Mueller November 29th, 2008 01:17 AM

Very well done - I really like it! Not only from a technical perspective.. You treat a very interesting topic as well. How did you manage to get John Robbins for an interview ?!

Jason Sharaba November 29th, 2008 08:27 AM

Nice Work Sir!

Very Nice work. May I ask what kind of black background material you used for the sit down interviews?

Jeff Nelson November 29th, 2008 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Mueller (Post 970220)
VHow did you manage to get John Robbins for an interview ?!

John is a good friend, and he came to a convention we put on, I interviewed him there.

Jeff Nelson November 29th, 2008 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Sharaba (Post 970275)
May I ask what kind of black background material you used for the sit down interviews?

I use this to hang the backdrop: Calumet Heavy-Duty Background Support - MF6095 - MF6095

and I use a solid black background for these, like this:

Calumet 10 x 24' Black Muslin Background - MP3105 - MP3105

This is a standard I use for documentary work, and sometimes I use green screen instead and put in different backgrounds. I'm shooting next week a host for the documentary against a white background which I'll overlight, and then remove that to put in a solid white background in post, so that it will be an even white.

Corey Hill November 30th, 2008 07:26 AM

Looks like its gonna be a good documentary Jeff. do you remember the lighting used for this shoot. It's got a nice look btw.

Jeff Nelson November 30th, 2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey Hill (Post 970630)
do you remember the lighting used for this shoot. It's got a nice look btw.

Thanks, Corey. The basic lighting is a big soft box 3/4 keying from one side, a reflector on the other side, and a rim light from behind and on the opposite side from the key. I hang the black behind with no light on it, and I'm ready to shoot. It's a pretty fast set up and I get a consistent look.