DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   A1 and headphone problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/138297-a1-headphone-problem.html)

Stephen Sobel November 23rd, 2008 09:49 AM

A1 and headphone problem

I have used headphones in the past to check sound levels while taping with my A1 with no issues. Yesterday I started to do so, and to my chagrin there was a buzzing sound in one ear phone ( but not the other). When I hook up these headphones to my pc, there is no problem. Is it possible while adjusting the audio settings for my external mic I messed up something? Or do I have a problem with the A1 that will lead to me sending it away for a repair? Any ideas or possible solutions (other than sending it away)?

Allan Black November 23rd, 2008 02:03 PM

Is it possible you didn't push the phones plug fully into the A1, that could cause that hum.

And is the audio hum free on both A1 tracks? If it continues try running the A1 on A/C power and see if that clears it. Also try pushing the A1 reset button.

Cheers.

Stephen Sobel November 23rd, 2008 02:34 PM

When plugged into my pc, I can listen to music with no hum in either ear. When plugged into my A1, there is a lour buzz in the right ear. AC power makes no difference.

How do I use the reset button?

----------------

Never mind. I figured out the reset button. That did the trick!

Allan Black November 23rd, 2008 02:42 PM

Stephen I've never used the reset, best to follow the manual instructions. Also do you have another set of cans to try? If not take the cam to a sound shop, try everything before sending it away for fixing.

EDIT...great stuff!!

Cheers.

Stephen Sobel November 23rd, 2008 02:55 PM

I googled and found how to do the reset button. You make sure the battery is out and there isn't any AC power connected, and then lightly push it. I used the unfolded end of a paper clip. That did it.

Allan Black November 23rd, 2008 03:16 PM

Did you have to reset the A1 clock and other settings?

Cheers.

Colin McDonald November 23rd, 2008 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Sobel (Post 967759)
I have used headphones in the past to check sound levels while taping with my A1 with no issues. Yesterday I started to do so, and to my chagrin there was a buzzing sound in one ear phone ( but not the other). When I hook up these headphones to my pc, there is no problem. Is it possible while adjusting the audio settings for my external mic I messed up something? Or do I have a problem with the A1 that will lead to me sending it away for a repair? Any ideas or possible solutions (other than sending it away)?

I know this sounds daft (please don't be insulted) but I once had a similar problem and it turned out to be because I had plugged the headphones in to the AV socket instead of the headphone jack (- we were 2 crew down and I was rushing about setting up 4 cameras with a very tight timescale before a live performance).

I noticed just in time and felt very silly but also very relieved it was something so simple.
Can you definitely eliminate this possibility?

Stephen Sobel November 23rd, 2008 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin McDonald (Post 967929)
I know this sounds daft (please don't be insulted) but I once had a similar problem and it turned out to be because I had plugged the headphones in to the AV socket instead of the headphone jack (- we were 2 crew down and I was rushing about setting up 4 cameras with a very tight timescale before a live performance).

I noticed just in time and felt very silly but also very relieved it was something so simple.
Can you definitely eliminate this possibility?

I don't believe that I was doing that, though it's possible. Since I did the reset, everything has been fine.

Allan - I did have to reset the clock, and I also had turn on the presets. However, I didn't lose the custom presets I had loaded - so everything isn't reset.

Steve Wolla November 24th, 2008 12:32 AM

Yeah, it sounds just like the headphones were plugged into the AV socket. I too did that once (that I will admit to) and just slow things down a bit now so as to avoid a repeat of that scenario.