DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH A1(s) vs. HD110 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/138307-xh-a1-s-vs-hd110.html)

Kurtis Chen November 23rd, 2008 01:13 PM

XH A1(s) vs. HD110

Haven't been on DVi for a while now.

I can afford an XH A1, Sony FX1000, or an HD110, or maybe wait for an XH A1S. I've done my research (I think), but I still can't decide. I'm left confused. Again.

Is Canon's 24f mode pseudo progressive, or real progressive? Wouldn't the HD110's 720p be better than 1080i?

Thanks in advance,

kurt

David W. Jones November 23rd, 2008 02:11 PM

It is real progressive.

Bill Pryor November 23rd, 2008 03:24 PM

Canon's F mode is real progressive, as stated above. You get 24 discreet frames per second, no interlace. Also it has higher resolution than the 720p 1/3" chip cameras. And, I believe the lens is better than the cheap one with the JVC. If you get the lens that costs more than the camera, then the JVC might be preferable. But that puts the price up beyond reason for a camera like that. Just my opinion.

Kurtis Chen November 23rd, 2008 03:36 PM

Oh, okay. Thanks! So so far, the Canon XH A1 looks like the smart choice. Any thoughts about the FX1000?

Jack Walker November 23rd, 2008 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurtis Chen (Post 967894)
Oh, okay. Thanks! So so far, the Canon XH A1 looks like the smart choice. Any thoughts about the FX1000?

Here's a thread that compares the XH-A1 and the FX1000

One big difference is the the FX1000 does not have XLR, and the XH-A1 has XLR and 1/8" inputs.

Also, the FX1000 is CMOS and the XH-A1 is CCD.

Finally, I suggest getting the XHA1s (the new model, just coming out), because it has a number of improvements. Most of the things people did not like in the original model are fixed or upgraded.

Jack Walker November 23rd, 2008 05:08 PM

Post posed double. Please delete this if possible.

Bill Pryor November 23rd, 2008 05:10 PM

I agree the improvements are nice, but you can also get the older model for only $3200 from B&H now. So unless those improvements are worth about 800 bucks to you, the original is basically the same. There's a list on here somewhere of the improvements. One good one is that it uses the 6 pin firewire port now, and that might be significant if you plan to use a Firestore drive instead of tape.

Kurtis Chen November 23rd, 2008 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 967918)
I agree the improvements are nice, but you can also get the older model for only $3200 from B&H now. So unless those improvements are worth about 800 bucks to you, the original is basically the same. There's a list on here somewhere of the improvements. One good one is that it uses the 6 pin firewire port now, and that might be significant if you plan to use a Firestore drive instead of tape.

hmm. I'm thinking that the A1S will be priced the same (or a bit more) as the old one on B&H (which is now $3100), because the suggested retail for the A1 and the A1S are both $4k.

I guess we'll just wait and see.

Jack Walker November 23rd, 2008 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 967918)

The audio options are worth the difference in price, and the price difference may not be significant anyway.

If buying throw-away or crash cameras, the old version would be fine. Or if there is a specific dedicated purpose for the camera, and it's needed right now, get the old one. Otherwise, I can't see buying the old one.

Kurtis Chen November 23rd, 2008 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Walker (Post 967938)
The audio options are worth the difference in price, and the price difference may not be significant anyway.

If buying throw-away or crash cameras, the old version would be fine. Or if there is a specific dedicated purpose for the camera, and it's needed right now, get the old one. Otherwise, I can't see buying the old one.

For me, I won't be able to afford it anymore if it actually turned out to cost $4k. But, again, the suggested retail price is a lot higher than the price you'll find on B&H.
$4k is the suggested retail for the A1, so the A1S should be the same price as the A1 IMO.

Bill Pryor November 23rd, 2008 08:13 PM

They always come out at list, or sometimes about $150 less at B&H when first released. Then the price will drop after 6 months or so. The original is down to $3100 now, which has got to be the best deal in the industry.

Jack Walker November 24th, 2008 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 967992)
They always come out at list, or sometimes about $150 less at B&H when first released. Then the price will drop after 6 months or so. The original is down to $3100 now, which has got to be the best deal in the industry.

There may also be a rebate offered by Canon shortly after the release. Also, some dealers may add accessories or an extended warranty.

(And just as a note, anybody who offers prices _considerably_ below B&H or the other reputable dealers is surely not legitimate and to be avoided. )