Shooting Time Lapse Sunrise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 24th, 2008, 09:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Shooting Time Lapse Sunrise

Thursday i will be shooting the Sunrise over a lake. Can anybody give me some ideas for how to set up my camera to get great Color in the sky. I want to make the reds, and oranges stand out.
Craig Stay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 02:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I've got some pretty decent results with the 'sun' white balance preset.
Also the VIVIDRGB preset will give you some nice saturated colors.
Hubert Duijzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 10:00 PM   #3
New Boot

Make sure the white balance isn't set to auto, I've made that mistake doing a cloud time lapse and the coloring shifted dramatically a few times over an hour.
Martin Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 11:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

What steps do you take to do an extensive timelapse with an A1? I use a firestore, so I'm wondering how does one record for such an extensive period of time using tape or FS?
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:44 PM   #5
Major Player

I don't know what you would do, but I would just change the tape at the end of each hour...IF I had to do a multiple-hour time-lapse. With the side port on the A1 you can easily switch tapes in 10 seconds.
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:50 PM   #6
Trustee

Use a DSLR instead!
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Stay View Post
Thursday i will be shooting the Sunrise over a lake. Can anybody give me some ideas for how to set up my camera to get great Color in the sky. I want to make the reds, and oranges stand out.
As other people have already mentioned, a camcorder is not the smartest way to shoot time lapse. Remember that video is just a succession of still images, and you'll get much better results using a digital camera, either standalone or hooked up to a laptop with capture software.

Look up user mockmoon2000 on YouTube. He's posted several breathtaking time-lapse HD videos of nature, all of which were captured using a still digital camera.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Not quite tru any more Jacques, as video cameras that have cache recording are perfect for timelapse as they can store single images to the chip first and then dump it as a stream to tape/disc/card.
Manual exposure and white balance essential for sunrise. You'll need to guesstimate the exposure when the sun is up and set for that. It may be f8-11 or so. If it's set too wide you'll burn out as soon as the sun gets up.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #9
Regular Crew

One thing that I have heard from many other videographers in regards to timelapse, shoot your timelapes with your exposure set on Auto.

I personally haven't tried this yet, but i have seen lots of great results using this method. Just make sure that you turn off the gain so that it will not ruin your picture when it's completely dark.

I usually set it manually but it can be VERY tricking with a sunrise, muchhhh easier during sunset.

Also, why not use interval recording? You will need to speed it up still quite a bit in post, but it will not use hours and hours of tape like a continuous recording would be.

If you want to go even further you can remove one frame for each 1 second capture to produce a something technically accurate to a real timelapse process done one frame at a time. This is how i've achieved my best results.
Old December 9th, 2008, 07:26 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Awesome info guys i have been slacking because i dont like to get up early when i dont need to. But i am going to do some sunrises and sunsets soon. I really want to put alot of timelapse stuff in my next film.
Craig Stay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders