DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Capture problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/138761-capture-problem.html)

Noa Put December 1st, 2008 11:38 AM

Capture problem

Here we go again, after years being very careful in the way I attach the firewirecable to my camera (first the cable in the pc, then into the camera, then start up the pc and then start up the camera) I never had any problems in capturing. After reading so many stories about xh-a1 users suffering from capture problems I always thought; it can't be that difficult, right?

I just upgraded to the xh-a1 and captured several times without a problem untill today, the camera is not recognized and the "hdv/dv in" and "ch 1/2" continiously flicker in the lcd screen.

Pls anybody tell me here that it is just a stupid setting I overlooked?

Noa Put December 1st, 2008 03:42 PM

I just have been searching a bit on this forum and it seems i'm not the only one with this specific problem and the only solution I have found is to return it to canon... Since anotehr camera is recognized without a problem it must be a firewire problem with the canon. What is it with canon and those capture problems?? I never experienced any of these problems with my previous camera's.

Bill Pryor December 1st, 2008 04:55 PM

Are you sure your camera is in the right mode, ie., the playback mode, and that you haven't switched it from DV to HDV or vice versa? I use FCP, and the camera has to be in the same mode as your capture mode before you connect it.

Noa Put December 1st, 2008 06:03 PM

Thx Bill for your reply, no, nothing has been changed since last time I used the camera to capture.
One thing I did today and that was to use the component out cable that was attached to the camera because I wanted to see a live preview on my tv but that didn't work either. That was strange because I used that about a week ago without a problem and now I could only see a lot of noise.
I must say that last time I connected the camera to a HD tv and now to a regular older crt tv, don't know if that has anything to do with the malfunctioning camera now?
But as far as camera settings goes nothing was changed and the camera was in the right mode.
It has worked before without a problem and I always connect the camera in the right and safe way.

Bill Pryor December 1st, 2008 08:17 PM

If you connected to a non-HD TV then it wouldn't work if you had HDV output.
It could be there's a problem with the firewire port. Have you checked it with another cable?

Noa Put December 3rd, 2008 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 971457)
If you connected to a non-HD TV then it wouldn't work if you had HDV output.

I found that out by reading the manual :) afterwards but thanks to mention it.

I tried almost everything now but the camera refuses to connect, will send it in anyway for a checkup since this months I only have editing jobs left but no camerawork.