Cost of upgrade from 50i only to 50/60i at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 8th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #1
Trustee

Cost of upgrade from 50i only to 50/60i

Hi all,
I have moved from Australia to Canada, & would like to send my camera in to Canon to get them to upgrade it so it will record in 60i, 30p & 24p. I wanted to get it done in Australia before i left, but simply ran out of time. There it was going to cost me $500. I have just rung Canon service here in Canada, but they won't quote how much it will cost. Has anyone done this, & do you know how much it will be.
They are however quoting 15-20 days, to have a look at the camera, so that time will put me under pressure to get some filming i need to do done in the time frame i have. Is there a way i can simply convert the 50i footage to 60i? I am on a PC.
Thanks in advance,
Bryce
Old December 9th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #2
New Boot

Hi

I did the opposite. Brought the cam from B&H Photo as NTSC and then in NZ got the PAL upgrade. They gave me the price of the upgrade before hand. It cost me $800 nz and the turn around was fast. I would say it took a week for them to get it done. Sounds like a long turn around for an upgrade. Maybe aussie would have been hassle free.

Regards
Ratu
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Bryce,

Though having all the settings on your camera would be nice the upgrade seems pretty pricey. That's weird how they won't quote you a price, too.

Another alternative is DVFilm Atlantis for Windows that will convert 50i to 60i or vice versa. You can download a full-working demo (watermarked) to try it out. It seems like a good solution without any downtime for the physical camera upgrade and it gives you the option to convert back and forth not only with you camera but with any footage you have.

Hope this helps,
Andy
Andy Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #4
Major Player

I just phoned Canon Australia and the price is $640 AUD and a week turnaround. I agree a bit pricey for a tweek?

They did say that they would give the heads a clean and check alignment etc FOC
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Trustee

Thank you to everyone for the info.
Andy, I have looked into the DV Film Atlantis software, that looks very interesting, so much so that i tried to order it, but for some reason, when i click on the link, i get the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" page. Not sure why this is, but if i can't get it to work soon, i guess i will just email them.
Tania, whoa that's a lot of money to (probably) have them throw an SD card in it & update the firmware! How did it work out price wise buying the camera from B&H then having this done, was it still cheaper for you? I guess the other problem doing this, is that you don't have the NZ warranty.
Jonathan, wow, $640 AUD! That means it's gone up $140 since i left Oz less than 6 months ago. I guess it must have to do with the weakening Aussie dollar against the green back??

Bryce
Old December 9th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #6
New Boot

Hi Bryce
The upgrade price (NZ$) including the cost of buying it from the states (including NZ GST) was still cheaper than buying it here in NZ.
2 Reason for buying from the states:

1)They have bundled packages and the one I brought included the add on WA lens, large battery, UV filter and a 4 year mack warranty.

2)We had US dollars in our account and weren't going to bring it back into nz due to the high exchange rate (thats changed now). So I decided to use some of that money to buy the cam. I won't be buying anything overseas now due to our weak dollar.

Changing the subject here. For some reason my wife went in and changed my account to her name a while back. I couldn't figure out how she did it and why. Anyway I didn't bother trying to find out how u change it cause I hardly posted anything on here anyway but recently I have been so if any of u guys know how to change the name back to Ratu Ratu it would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Ratu
Old December 9th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #7
Trustee

Hi Ratu,
That's interesting, i guess it's just a case of supply and demand. B&H probably sell more of these cams in a week than any NZ dealer would sell in a month, & that's probably a gross understatement!
As far as changing your name, i tried to do it myself, but also have no idea how it can be done. Best bet i would think would be to PM Chris Hurd. Look for a post with his name next to it, & click on his name. There you can click on the contact info tab, & send him an email. I'm sure he could sort it out for you. On the other hand, i guess if your wife had to change her name when she married you, maybe she thought you wouldn't mind doing the same for her??

Cheers,

Bryce

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders