XH-A1 or keep my Z1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 15th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #1
Major Player

XH-A1 or keep my Z1

i have a Z1u, been super. have an A1 at work, have really gotten to love it.
was kinda wondering if there is anyone here to dumped their Sonys and went to
canon? I shoot with an EX1, and the A1 seems like it would be easier to match,
plus the 20x glass REALLY helps things out.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I certainly wouldn't dump the Z1 for Canon's A1, even the new s model. It's a sideways move and the hit you'll take in selling the Z1 will never be recompensed by going Canon.

The Z1's screen is bigger and better than the Canon's and the focus assist and fine tune of the w/bal are excellent features. OK, it's only a 12x zoom, but side-by-side you can see why the Sony costs more.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Major Player

I did, Canon A1 are much better than Sony Z1 picture quality wise, can't you see the different? should be better match to your EX1.
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #4
Major Player

Tom, given what they are going for on ebay, and some of the classifieds I have seen,
i think i could do an even trade.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I've been doing a few multi-cam shoots working with A1 and Z1 together. I do appreciate the Z1 for it's bigger LCD. Both cameras have been using the factory preset and in editing I find the Canon to be much more honest with it's picture quality. The Sony seems to increase the contrast which results in little detail in the dark areas. Also the Sony saturates the colours more than reality. The Sony picture looks vivid and pretty but not honest to reality and it is harder to avoid burn out on the hilights.
So while editing I have to try to reduce the Z1 contrast and increase the A1 contrast so they will meet in the middle. I also have to match up the saturation.

What is good or bad is in the eye of the beholder.

all the season best to ya
Don Xaliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 10:47 AM   #6
Contributor

I had shot with a Z1 and was ready to buy when Canon first came out with the XHA1. I went with the Canon because of the lens and the ability to shoot 24 fps. The extra zoom of the lens wasn't a big deal to me, but the real aperture ring, versus the little knob on the side, was my hot button.

My feeling is that both cameras are pretty much equal in end quality, with the Canon having the edge because of the 24F. That may not be important for some. I like the Sony for balance and the positioning the LCD up on top where an assistant can see it easier for follow focus. I think the audio controls are a bit better on the Sony because it allows you to split up line and mic levels in to each channel, although the upgraded XHA1s does this now. That wasn't a big deal for me but could be for some.

Overall, if I had a paid-for Z1, I would be happy with it. But if I could sell it and get the Canon and not get dumped on financially, I'd go for that.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 01:54 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
I certainly wouldn't dump the Z1 for Canon's A1, even the new s model. It's a sideways move and the hit you'll take in selling the Z1 will never be recompensed by going Canon.

The Z1's screen is bigger and better than the Canon's and the focus assist and fine tune of the w/bal are excellent features. OK, it's only a 12x zoom, but side-by-side you can see why the Sony costs more.

tom.
Tom, how do you think the new FX1000 would hold up to the A1S?
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 02:08 PM   #8
Inner Circle

You didn't ask me, but the FX1000 will give you better low light for sure.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM   #9
Trustee

You're right Jeff, but I was trying to get an idea of how the PQ compared in general on these two cams.

The FX1000 has certainly upped the anti with a lot of new features relative to the FX1.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 11:40 PM   #10
Major Player

I'd get the Canon, if its between that and the Z1. Reason #1 is that Canon L series lens. Then there's the presets, a better 24p than Z1, etc....it is just a little better in so many areas.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 02:19 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Ken, the FX1000 is a great consumer cam, needing add-on audio boxes to feed proper mics into it. OK it's probably going to be a stop better than the A1s in low light, but it does it with CMOS chips, and we all know the rolling shutter side-effects of those.

So for wedding work I'd go for the Canon without a doubt. But for this sort of run 'n' gun work I never use the v'finder because I need to keep my peripheral vision alive and well, so the best top screen is what's called for. And the Z1's screen beats the Canon's hands down - for position, size and brightness.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 07:40 AM   #12
Trustee

Tom and Steve, I think I'm looking at either the A1S or the FX-1000. We know the 1000 now has the new "G" lens which is said to be better than the lens that Sony had been using in both the Z1 and FX1. Let's face it, the lens seems to have always been the weak point in many Sony cams, so perhaps the L lens has addressed that?

I don't anticipate using much of 24p with either unit, so that's not a major factor. It does seem we have more adjustment parameters with the the A1S, but Sony too seems to have upped the anti with adjustment capability. I'm not sure we yet have a 'verdict' on the 1000.

On the other hand the A1S seems to have addressed the issue I've seen in so many clips from the current Canon series, CA. At times it seemed really bad in some shots I've seen in high contrast areas. So if Canon did indeed address that in the new "L" series lens, that would be great. It would take more adjusting for me to properly use the Canon, since the only Canons I've had are the current HG21 and HV20. I've been using the VX2000/VX2100 in much of my work, but it's time to have HD capability on a higher level.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders