Just Ordered MY 1st Canon Ever at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 17th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #1
Major Player

Just Ordered MY 1st Canon Ever

hey Guys

As the title states its my first Canon i have always been a Sony guy but just ordered the A1s great value at $5000 we never had a price increase here in Australia so i dont know why you guys in the U.S. are paying a $1000 more

I do have a Z7 so i hope i can match them up

Is anyone using the built in mic if so how is it.

Rob
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bec View Post
Is anyone using the built in mic if so how is it.
Congrats!

For me the built-in isn't good for much more than ambient sound. It might be OK if the person speaking was right up on top of it. Otherwise, not so much. Any decent shotgun will be better.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
Congrats!

For me the built-in isn't good for much more than ambient sound. It might be OK if the person speaking was right up on top of it. Otherwise, not so much. Any decent shotgun will be better.
I have a rhode NTG-1 mic i guess i will connect that

what about presents has anyone got any favorites they like to use
Old December 18th, 2008, 01:30 AM   #4
Major Player

I really like Panalook, and EOS. They are my personal favorites. The EOS preset mimics Canon EOS cam color balance, and it looks quite....understated, if you will, to my eyes. Panalook is one that I find to be very versatile, good with a lot of different subjects.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 03:14 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wolla View Post
I really like Panalook, and EOS. They are my personal favorites. The EOS preset mimics Canon EOS cam color balance, and it looks quite....understated, if you will, to my eyes. Panalook is one that I find to be very versatile, good with a lot of different subjects.
are these presets within the camera or on the card see i don't pick up my A1s till Monday
Old December 18th, 2008, 05:19 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Seems odd that a Z7 man should go for the XH-A1s rather than a Z5. Care to elaborate?
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:48 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
are these presets within the camera or on the card see i don't pick up my A1s till Monday
Although I haven't done much with presets, I like Panalok2 rather than Panalook which is a little too much for me.

Neither of these presets are in the camera. You might want to peruse the big preset thread and get any of them that look interesting to you. There are a bunch of them now.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
Seems odd that a Z7 man should go for the XH-A1s rather than a Z5. Care to elaborate?
Tom

Value for money when the Z5 will be released it will be from $6500 thats alot for a second camera or the fx1000 is going for $5,500 thats lot

I figured for $5000 i am getting a camera just as good as the Z7 if not better in some ways

Have i made the right move?
Old December 18th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
just as good as the Z7 if not better in some ways Have i made the right move?
I'm going off CMOS the more I see. The rolling shutter effects on
electronic flash are horrible here, and the slowed down flashes on black dresses and suits are a joke.

Jennifer & Jonathan 11/26/08 on Vimeo

Your CCD Canon bypasses this almost completely.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
I'm going off CMOS the more I see. The rolling shutter effects on
electronic flash are horrible here, and the slowed down flashes on black dresses and suits are a joke.

Jennifer & Jonathan 11/26/08 on Vimeo

Your CCD Canon bypasses this almost completely.

tom.
I would be honest Tom i didn't want to purchase another CMOS camera one is enough i just completed a wedding and because there were 2 photographers they destroyed some cliips with there flashing so i will be alternating cameras plus i would like to add a 35mm adaptor

It was a toss up between the Z1 and the canon
A1s is a new model camera with a great lens which i think is the most important part of the camera and thats what sold me on it.

Rob
Old December 20th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #11
Major Player

Just had a look at some Z1 footage under low light and it wasnt even grainy

I really hope the A1s is as good or better

Something i forgot to check out before i ordered it.
Old December 20th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #12
Contributor

I've shot side by side in very low light with the Z1 and the XHA1, and they were, for all practical purposes, equal. The XHA1 probably was about 1/4 stop better. If you have to use high gain, the XHA1 is still good at a +6db, but the Z1 is good up to about +12db. So under high gain conditions, you could go higher with the Z1 before it looks really crappy than with the Canon. You do need to spend some quality time with the Canon and the manual and all the talk on here when you get it. It's not the kind of camera you take out of the box and shoot without tweaking it to your liking. Also, if you're shooting at 24F, and the 1/48 shutter speed, you've got a little more low light capability there. Plus, if your stuff goes to the web, you don't have to deinterlace, since 24F is progressive.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders