Headphone jack not working at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 21st, 2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Headphone jack not working

My situation is a little complicated so here goes.

After my father in law found out that I do video work for a living he asked me if I could shoot his DVD based christian ciriculum that is sent to prisons and rehab units.

After several months we decided on equipment and I started working for him. He bought a XH-A1 and I love using it. He goes on trips sometimes that I can't go on due to my main work. I showed him how to use the camera with the auto settings on and he was happy with that.

After the camera got back from one of these trips, I couldn't get any audio out of the headphone jack. So now I can't monitor audio. The jack doesn't appear to be damaged at all so that would rule out my father in law damaging it, and my headphones work on other devices.

So is ther some internal setting that I don't know about that would disable the headphone jack?
Patrick Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 01:55 PM   #2
Trustee

Sorry to state the obvious, but have you checked the headphone volume? The headphone jack shares the same volume control as the speaker - the SELECT/SET dial on the rear.

Can you see an input/output level on the LCD or the side panel? If you can, and the volume control is turned up there may be a problem with the camera, the jack socket or the headphones themselves. Does it play out loud through the internal speaker?
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 12:33 PM   #3
Major Player

headphone jacks can be broken quite easily. I just had mine repaired for $200. Eeek!
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McDonald View Post
Sorry to state the obvious, but have you checked the headphone volume? The headphone jack shares the same volume control as the speaker - the SELECT/SET dial on the rear.

Can you see an input/output level on the LCD or the side panel? If you can, and the volume control is turned up there may be a problem with the camera, the jack socket or the headphones themselves. Does it play out loud through the internal speaker?
No I haven't checked the level but I have levels jumping when I record. I won't be able to test it until after christmas now but thank both of you for your input. I sure hope that it is not broken because I don't have an extra $200 dollars right now!
Patrick Myers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders