Purchased used xh-a1 from B and H-Test suggestions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 21st, 2008, 06:24 PM   #1
New Boot

Purchased used xh-a1 from B and H-Test suggestions?

Title says it all. Of course Ill be inspecting it visually, checking lens for scratches (minor or hard to detect I'm assuming, they rated it 9), I will check to see if the FireWire connection is sturdy and functioning, and running some test footage. I'm assuming it should all be fine, I've purchased my still camera equipment from B and H and never had any problems. Based on what I've read here, I have purchased a head cleaning tape to run through before I do a test shoot with some Panasonic tapes. I also purchased a UV filter and a bag for protection in the future assuming the camera is "all good". Once everything checks out I will move on to buying the rest of my wish-list. Does anyone have any other suggestions of what I should be conscious of when evaluating this "used camera". Any input would be appreciated. By the way, since B and H is a sponsor I don't mind saying that their service was sweet.

I was just about to walk out the door for an appointment and I noticed they finally had this camera in the used section. I called from my car just to ask about it and see if it came with original accessories and they offered to hold it for me without even having to ask. The salesmen just put it under my cell phone number I had called from (caller ID I guess, or they are psychic) Most places wont hold anything without a deposit. I was surprised. So I took care of my plans, had time to think it over and placed the order later that morning. That's my plug. Thanks
Francis Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 07:13 PM   #2
Trustee

It looks like you have the big bits covered. If you want to make sure everything works, then you have to test, well, everything. How old are you and how long do you plan on living? (grin)

Here are a couple of other thing you might want to check based on my experience shooting with my A1 for over a year.
- Check the still picture functions (Useful for reference shots)
- Read from and write to the SD card (You'll want this for stills and presets)
- Check that the headphone jack works (A weak point for this cam)
- The power tap from charger to camera (For when you shoot on AC power)
- LANC (I'd be dead without it)
- Tripod mounting screw (Some claim it's weak)

There's lots more you can do, but these are the ones that jump to mind for me.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 08:41 PM   #3
Contributor

The main things I'd check would be two:
First, look for a dead pixel. Put on the lens cap or aim the camera at a dark place and look carefully for any little white spot. Best if you run a video out to a monitor. You could have a dead pixel in the viewfinder or LCD that's not in the chips.
Next I'd record something and then see if it'll play back OK on some other device. This is to check for head alignment. If the heads are out of alignment, the tape would play back OK on that camera but most likely not on anything else.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 12:22 AM   #4
Major Player

Like Bill said , tape something and test it on multiple machines/computers if possible.
I would also take a real good looka t the frony element of the lens--any wear marks, scratches, uneven wear in coatings, any pitting, cracks, etc. Document this type of thing before you go out the door the 1st time, and cal in any problems like instantly.

After you've established that it can record and play back OK and that the lens is not trashed, I'd start really going over the manual, play with presets, etc. Take a week off work if you can to do this, it's a very complex cam!
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 02:20 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for the responses!

Cam should arrive tomorrow - nothing to do except test it out - so hopefully I wont have any issues. Very excited, if anyone thinks of anything else I'll be checking this post.
Thanks again.
Francis Nelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders