Capture XHA1 » Adobe Premeire Pro - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 3rd, 2009, 04:07 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orlowski View Post
If you're doing a loooong capture, it does take some time for Premiere to finish writing the file to the hard drive, and sometimes (at least for me), you may have to manually stop the acquisition even when you had an "out" entered.

I captured 30 minutes once, and it took my machine a good 3 minutes to finish the capture.

I won't capture that much in one pass anymore.
Maybe that is my problem. I am capturing about 45 mins of tape at once.
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #17
Major Player

I've captured a full 80 minute HDV tape from my XH-A1 with HDVSplit with no problems. It's designed to split clips but I like to do that myself later in Premiere. Soo, a single 80 minute clip, no audio sync problems, no speed/memory overload. And, I've only got an old, fairly slow, hyper threading single processor.

These days, however, I also convert later with Cineform's HDLink. No matter the claims, Premiere is not really HDV friendly.
Brad Tyrrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #18
Major Player

I have tried everything with this.
Some times it works and other times it does not.

I have 1080i (60i) footage. I am setting the project to this same spec.

However, most of the time I don't get a "capture duration" in the capture window.
When I don't get this there is no footage captured.

But every now and then I get something? I have no idea what I should do?
I really want to capture in PP (It cost me enough money I would like to use it?)
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Godwin View Post
I have tried everything with this.
Some times it works and other times it does not.

I have 1080i (60i) footage. I am setting the project to this same spec.

However, most of the time I don't get a "capture duration" in the capture window.
When I don't get this there is no footage captured.

But every now and then I get something? I have no idea what I should do?
I really want to capture in PP (It cost me enough money I would like to use it?)
As long as Premiere is recognizing the device, you only have one job:

to select the proper preset for your capture settings. Be sure you have the Canon specific presets downloaded from Adobe if you are capturing HDV. If SD, then use the DV 24 preset (or whatever frame rate you recorded at).
Premiere will automatically save your captured files in the folder that you choose. File management is a must! And be sure to NAME ALL YOUR FOOTAGE AFTER YOU CAPTURE. The little box should automatically pop up after you hit "STOP." This way if for some reason you are doing something quirky with file management, you can simply do a search for the filename.

So I guess you have three jobs..1) capture settings 2) file management 3) naming conventions

If you do all of these, and find that Premiere is indeed NOT saving your captured footage, then that is a problem with the software/hardware. Try re-installing and make sure your hard disks are healthy.

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #20
Major Player

OK I downloaded the files that I googled up.

Let me confirm.
I have 1080(60i) footage and I have the preset on. So I selected the HDV 1080i30(60i) preset.
Does that sound correct?
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #21
Major Player

The benefit of having the Canon specific presets in Premiere is that you don't have to worry about the 1080 stuff and everything, that can get confusing.

First ask yourself "SD, or HDV"

Then ask "24F, 30F, or 60i"

Then ask "4:3 or widescreen"

When using the appropriate presets I'm sure you will see that these questions narrow out all other possiblities. Hope this helps,

JS
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:27 AM   #22
Major Player

Guy you may have figured this out already but I just stumbled across the thread again. I think the answer to your question is that if you are capturing HDV footage, use the "Canon HDV" preset.

JS
Old February 3rd, 2009, 11:06 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Godwin View Post
I can get the tape to play but I am getting the writting that idicates there is no video.
I have had similar capture problems with my A1 and assumed it was the program (I am using Edius) but found that it is more likely a problem between the A1 and Vista. You didn't mention what OS you were using, but if it is Vista you might want to look into it as a lot of people are having problems with it.
Mark Ganglfinger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders