Capture XHA1 » Adobe Premeire Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 22nd, 2008, 07:52 PM   #1
Major Player

Capture XHA1 » Adobe Premeire Pro

I Just got my A1 and trying to capture the 1st shots in Premerie Pro but for some reason I can't the .MPEG to save.

I set up a HDV 60i preset and go to my capture. I can get the tape to play but I am getting the writting that idicates there is no video. However, once I hit pause or stop the video appears. But, even though it appears it nevers ask me to save my clip?

Something is very wrong???
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 08:08 PM   #2
Major Player

Not sure if this matters or not...

9600 Quad Core 2.3 Ghz
4.0 GB Memory
7500 RPM
Old December 22nd, 2008, 08:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

What version of Premiere are you using? Before CS3 Premiere had some major capture problems with the A1. The first step would be to check and make sure all you settings are correct for the A1. Open up a new project and customize all the settings (HDV, 50i) for the A1 along with the capture settings. You could also try to capture from premiere in a different user account on the computer. And the last step would be to reinstall Premiere Pro.
Mitch Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 08:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

If you are capturing HDV then there is no preview in PPro. There is also no scene detection. Your choices are as follows:

1:Capture entire footage as one scene (monitoring video through camera lcd) Then you have to go in and break apart into individual clips for editing :(

2: Log the clips in and out points first and save a log file then do a batch capture on only what you've set as multiple in and out points. If you do this logging you will be able to view the logging sequence on the computer and then when you capture there will be no preview. But at this time you can go have a snack because the process will be automated based on your batch file. More time consuming but better than #1 :)

3; be like almost every one else and download "HDV split" and it will automatically split your HDV scenes during capture. Depending on the power of your computer you may or may not be able to preview, but thats not a big deal because you can preview on the camera lcd.

But remember Premiere pro does not preview HDV footage during capture. its in the manual.
Howard Churgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 11:50 PM   #5
Major Player

In CS3--when capturing HDV all you will see in the monitor in Premietre is that blue text. don't worry-it's OK. When capture is complete, just drag it on your timeline, it'll do its conforming or indexing whichever it calls it, I forget...and you will be good to go.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 03:35 PM   #6
Major Player

Because there is no scene detection how to Premire know when to stop? Or how can I manually stop the capture?
Old December 23rd, 2008, 08:30 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Press the stop button on the screen
Howard Churgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wolla View Post
In CS3--when capturing HDV all you will see in the monitor in Premietre is that blue text. don't worry-it's OK. When capture is complete, just drag it on your timeline, it'll do its conforming or indexing whichever it calls it, I forget...and you will be good to go.
Do you know if you need to do the same in CS4?
Jonathan MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #9
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan MacDonald View Post
Do you know if you need to do the same in CS4?
the answer is yes my friend :(
Aamir Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 01:54 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Churgin View Post
But remember Premiere pro does not preview HDV footage during capture. its in the manual.
That and the Dolby license at an extra cost (not that they advertise it when they sell you the software) is why I'll never upgrade PP after this. To little bang for the buck. Now I use Vegas for small projects and Avid MC for large ones.

J.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 09:24 PM   #11
Major Player

Here is what I am doing.
» I set up the properties in a new event.
» f5 (capture)
» I select Tape In (This starts the capture)
» I select stop on the screan.
» Exit out. (It never prompts me to save the file??)

The file is now lost.

I have been able to get the footage to save but I really have no idea what I hit? Any idea?
Old January 2nd, 2009, 05:41 AM   #12
Trustee

Premier automatically saves the file to disk. It doesn't ask you to save it.

In the capture window, did you configure your settings. They are located under the tab in the upper right. Where did you tell Premier to save the file to? If you didn't specify, it could have put it somewhere you didn't expect. You might want to search your drives for .avi files. When you capture, do you see the disk activity light flashing? Yes, I know it's hard to figure out much from that since on my system the activity light has to blink for four drives. But you should see significant, but not constant activity whilst capturing.

If Premier didn't report an error during capture it's possible that the video is hiding in your system somewhere.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:00 PM   #13
Major Player

I have confirmed the location and sometimes I get a .mpeg and sometimes I get nothing.
It seems that if I open and close the capture window I can get it to capture all the time.

Should I be getting a .avi? I have only seen that on SD?
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:37 AM   #14
Regular Crew

If you're doing a loooong capture, it does take some time for Premiere to finish writing the file to the hard drive, and sometimes (at least for me), you may have to manually stop the acquisition even when you had an "out" entered.

I captured 30 minutes once, and it took my machine a good 3 minutes to finish the capture.

I won't capture that much in one pass anymore.
James Orlowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:42 AM   #15
Major Player

I always seem to run into problems capturing directly into Premiere, so I don't.

Premier's On Location is pretty good when capturing direct from the camera though (love the waveform monitor). If I've got to capture from a back-up tape, I use HDVSplit.

Seems like the ram overhead when Premiere is running slows things down to a crawl. I've had my machine get far enough behind when trying to capture in Premiere that it just runs out of memory and quits.

The other hassle with Premiere capture is audio sync. A long clip always seems to get farther and farther out of sync with time.
Brad Tyrrell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders