XH A1/ GL2 Match-Up at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 22nd, 2008, 09:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XH A1/ GL2 Match-Up

I recently purchased my XH A1. I have an old GL2 laying around. If I were to use the GL2 as a second/unmanned camera at weddings, how well would they match-up together? I plan on shooting the A1 in HD then downcovert when importing into Avid.

Thanks
Daniel Fessak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #2
Major Player

Being an owner of both, I can offer my observations on a few things.

GL-2 and A1 don't match. The A1 is a better match with the XL1-s. GL-2 has a very good looking but "hot" exposure. The imager can be overloaded by too much light, particularly stage lighting. I've experienced over-saturated colors that are very hard to tone down in post.
The GL-2 has better low light sensitivity.
The GL is very hard to use in manual mode due to going back and forth between the tiny roller/selector switches.
GL-2 in 16 x 9 tends to cut off a little more of the top/bottom picture than is evident in the viewfinder.
Gl-2 crap stereo mic tends to distort on loud passages.

A1- downconversion in the camera. My experience has been very soft, out of focus looking footage when downconverting from the camera.
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #3
Old Boot

David, I can see very soon I will be in the same position and need to challenge much of my knowledge base about "fitting-in" the A1.

Have you tried using GL2 preset to reduce the saturation?

Your comment about the low light of the GL2 being better than the A1 is also interesting considering the A1 has a larger 3C block.

Plus down-convert gets softer focus.

Have you now decided that there just isn't enough of a "happy-marriage" or at least a positive compromise? - Wouldn't surprise me.

Hmmmm....

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #4
Major Player

I bought a second A1. I still have my GL-2 and use it for run and gun. It's great for that. The 2 cameras are just not of the same design and same class. the manual feature set of the A1, especially the iris ring and custom presets is just in another league. Actually, better than almost everything about the Sony Z1 as well, and way cheaper.
David Morgan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders