DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH A1 24F workaround with Avid Media Composer 3.0 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/140427-xh-a1-24f-workaround-avid-media-composer-3-0-a.html)

Kareem Dimashkie December 28th, 2008 03:57 PM

XH A1 24F workaround with Avid Media Composer 3.0

Hi everyone,

I'm sure this topic has been covered, but I'm having a bit of difficulty and am in a time crunch.

As is well-known, Avid Media Composer 3.0 doesn't capture 24F mode with the XH A1.

I was able to capture my 24F 1080i footage via HDVSplit to my computer. However, when using MPEG Streamclip, the captured footage was very choppy to play. When I converted it to DNxHD, AVID accepted and converted the file, but there was no picture (just a white screen).

What do you think the problem is? Thank you in advance.

Kareem

P.S. I also posted in the Avid editing family thread, but have yet to receive a response. Sorry for the double-post.

Peter Szilveszter December 28th, 2008 04:52 PM

Sounds like it let you render but the codec didn't accept the original data and just rendered blank. I use Tmpeg Encoder and had no problem converting the m2t files to Quicktime in DNxHD which avid worked fine with, so not sure what happened unless you need to reinstall the codec?

regarding the Avid 24f issue, I don't know if this works for NTSC but I am in PAL land and I simply capture in 50i mode and then just change the project to progressive. The reason it works is because even though I filmed 25f it records in an interlaced format (there is a better explanation). So maybe you could try 60i as supposedly it still records in 29.9 (even though to actual frames are in 24f) otherwise in future shoot in 30f and that should work.

Kareem Dimashkie December 29th, 2008 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Szilveszter (Post 985222)
Sounds like it let you render but the codec didn't accept the original data and just rendered blank. I use Tmpeg Encoder and had no problem converting the m2t files to Quicktime in DNxHD which avid worked fine with, so not sure what happened unless you need to reinstall the codec?

regarding the Avid 24f issue, I don't know if this works for NTSC but I am in PAL land and I simply capture in 50i mode and then just change the project to progressive. The reason it works is because even though I filmed 25f it records in an interlaced format (there is a better explanation). So maybe you could try 60i as supposedly it still records in 29.9 (even though to actual frames are in 24f) otherwise in future shoot in 30f and that should work.

Thank you for the explanation Peter. I will try that workaround and see if it captures. So, just to clarify, the theory is that if I try 60i and it captures in 29.9, the actual framerate will look 24F because I shot in 24F?

Also, MPEG streamclip worked with the m2t file. However, it only worked for the video. My problem was I wasn't converting to a Quicktime DNxHD (I was trying AVI). So now I have video which looks great, but no audio. What should my settings be when converting audio?

Thank you for your help.

Peter Szilveszter December 29th, 2008 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kareem Dimashkie (Post 985405)
Thank you for the explanation Peter. I will try that workaround and see if it captures. So, just to clarify, the theory is that if I try 60i and it captures in 29.9, the actual framerate will look 24F because I shot in 24F?

That's the theory it just contains it in a 29.9 format, there is a proper explanation but I am not that technical when it comes to codecs and so on. I would be interested if 30f works though?

Quote:

Also, MPEG streamclip worked with the m2t file. However, it only worked for the video. My problem was I wasn't converting to a Quicktime DNxHD (I was trying AVI). So now I have video which looks great, but no audio. What should my settings be when converting audio?
Hmm maybe you didn't have the audio option ticked when you bring up the Quicktime codec options. Otherwise I am not sure, I haven't played with streamclip much.