Eng cam? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:11 AM   #31
Regular Crew

I am a VJ and can only talk about the PAL version. I've been using the XH A1 for tv production since two years now. Mostly for a culture and lifestyle show, that desires quite a good image quality. I've been operating it in 4:3 SD as in 16:9 SD, since the network has changed format. No problems at all. True is: Using the factory setting, the cam produces a kind of blurred image, especially in skin tones. But if you tweak the settings in a reasonable manner, that problem is solved. The biggest 'downer' for me is a certain lack of light sensitivity. Newer cams like the Sony Z7 are better regarding that. Regarding the 'shoulder cam' comparisons: Sure, a decent -say 10.000€- shoulder cam is 'better'. But I certainly woudn't like to carry it around as a vj, together with all the rest, unless I looked like Dolph Lundgren. Also, it woud be quite difficult to amortize it, considering veejay salaries.
Jan Luethje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Thanks for the response Jan.

I have made some adjustments with custom settings and 4:3 looks pretty good thus far. I have not processed any viz through my edit suite yet and then dumped to tape or burned to dvd. But when tested on my regular 'ole 4:3 sd tv the output looks nice and crisp.
Jay Legere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 03:28 AM   #33
Regular Crew

I could be wrong but is 4:3 fast becoming an outdated format. I walk into a tv shop and I do not see any 4:3 format TV's they are all 16:9. I do not think that there are many film makers using a 4:3 format if any, are they not all using widescreen or 16:9 I don't think it will be long before everyone will own a flat screen digital 16:9 format tv.

Alan
Alan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #34
Trustee

Sooo--Jay and Jan, I have the same blurry sd problem, care to share your tweaks??? Please?? / Battle Vaughan /miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders