Crank: High Voltage Teaser Trailer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Crank: High Voltage Teaser Trailer

I've been waiting to see some sort of footage from this movie, mostly because I'm very interested in how it would look.

For those of you who don't know, Crank 2: High Voltage was shot with around 10 Canon XH-A1s, and a few Canon Consumer HD cameras (forgot the names of it).

So it looks like there is finally a teaser trailer. Here it is.

And just warning everyone, it does contain a LOT of cussing and some partial nudity. Just giving you the heads up.

YouTube - Crank 2: High Voltage Teaser Trailer HD
Jerrod Cordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 09:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Jerrod,
I think this looks just aweful. Like a low budget church film without all the churchiness. It looks, feels, and acts like video. It's strange to see Jason Statham and Amy Smart in that type of look. It does not bode well if these guys couldn't get a film look. How dissappointing. I will still go see it in the theater just to support my cams, but this does not look good to me. Too bad there's no HD version.
Bill
Old January 3rd, 2009, 10:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
Jerrod,
I think this looks just aweful. Like a low budget church film without all the churchiness. It looks, feels, and acts like video. It's strange to see Jason Statham and Amy Smart in that type of look. It does not bode well if these guys couldn't get a film look. How dissappointing. I will still go see it in the theater just to support my cams, but this does not look good to me. Too bad there's no HD version.
Bill
Yes, but what you have to remember is - this type of film isn't made for artisitic merit, it's made for video rental profits....
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:14 AM   #4
Contributor

The first Crank looked crappy too. It's difficult to tell through the Youtube pixellation and all, but I don't see this as looking any more or less "video" than the first one.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Heh, I never said it looked good, I just wanted to share it. lol.

That's the best quality version I found, but if I find a better one I'll share it.

Hooray for High Concept! lol.
Old January 4th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #6
Tourist

Quote:
This video has been removed due to terms of use violation.
Can you upload the video on Vimeo? :)
Martin Emmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #7
Major Player

Lions gate has started to remove it so they don't want it out. You can still find it by simply goggling the thread title. I don't care for look of it my self but that has more to do with the content not how it was shot.
Old January 16th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Here's the first official trailer.

IGN Video: Crank: High Voltage Movie Trailer - Trailer

I don't know if its the lack of pixelation or if they did more color correction, but it looks a lot better than the other trailer (which could be why Lions Gate wanted to remove it.)
Old January 16th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #9
Major Player

Indeed this one is much more cleaned up in terms of image. It looks like the first trailer we saw had no corrections and this one does. Just goes to show how much is done in post :) Still will not be running to the theater though. Might NetFlix it though.
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #10
Major Player

This looks alot better. Still not exactly right, but better. Interesting...I might check it out on the big screen just to see how the transfer looks.
Bill
Old January 17th, 2009, 05:43 AM   #11
Regular Crew

The trailer is HD, click High Res, full screen. or you can download 720p version.
James R. Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #12
Major Player

Here is a short study on some of the HD trailer's grabs: 2shared - download crank2.jpg

I think it looks very good and it suits the style of the movie. Also, I think that the shots that had halation might have been shot with the HF10 btw. Some have mentioned elsewhere that the kind of overexposing we see in the grabs could easily be avoided with the XH-A1, so it seems that the directors were deliberately going for that cheap video look -- with a movie look twist, rather than the cameras being crappy, or their DP being crappy.

Here's a nice interview with the directors btw about the cameras used: CRANK: HIGH VOLTAGE Camera News - Collider Exclusive
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders