DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   New preset : PFVISION (sample included) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/140962-new-preset-pfvision-sample-included.html)

Randy Panado January 8th, 2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees van Duijvenbode (Post 991146)
How can this Preset help in low-light with the Setup level at-9?
And doesn't pumping up the colors almost with the same amount give a reddish result.

It doesn't look reddish to me. I also wouldn't expect ANY preset to push the camera past its limitations without trade offs like ghosting, washed out colors, etc. This preset works for me with +6 db in a lowly lit reception hall when my old preset of vision01 didn't at +12db. I know it's because vision01 had a gamma of cine2 but at the same time, it had the best skin tones and looked close to what I saw with my eyes....it was just too darn dark.

You can try it out and then tell me what you think. It may not work for your tastes. It's not for everyone but it suits what I need it to do just fine.

Michael Hutson January 9th, 2009 07:30 PM

Low light test footage pfvision preset

Randy,

Here's some low light footage that I took with the PFVISION preset. I like it. Sorry for being so short. Still learning!!!

Thanks again for sharing your preset, Randy.

Camera settings are on the link.

XHA1 PFVISION PRESET LOW LIGHT TEST on Vimeo

Randy Panado February 2nd, 2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Cossel (Post 990195)
I suspected people were going with "-3" gain to reduce the grain in the image. However, I set up both of my A1's a while back and set one to "0" and the other to "-3" and I couldn't see a difference in the LCD. Are you guys actually seeing less grain in your images or is a case of "if you enlarge the image 300% you can see the difference"?

Found an answer via Patrick Moreau. -3 allows you more room to push the image in post before grain makes itself apparent from grading.

God...that color grading class was incredible...lol.

Thought I'd just toss that in there.

Dale Guthormsen February 3rd, 2009 07:42 PM

Randy,

Thanks for sharing: new to the xlh1 from my xl2 and I have not shot another wedding, but when I do i will use this preset!! always struggling keeping good color/images in low light. this is awesome!!

Bryce Comer March 1st, 2009 11:55 AM

Hi Randy,
Just shot some stuff with your preset the other night. I was using a friends camera & when i got to see the footage i shot with your preset i was absolutley blown away. The colours where brilliant & the low light ability was far better. If i can i will get some samples up here. Well done with this preset, & thank you, i will definately be using it a lot more.
Regards,
Bryce

Jeff Nelson March 1st, 2009 08:20 PM

Shot a very dimly lit play last night and decided, after some testing, to use this preset. Am really happy w/the results, will post some footage when I get a chance, but this was a great preset for the situation. Thanks for coming up with this.

Jeff Nelson March 2nd, 2009 12:16 AM

Here are a couple of shots from last night's show. It was the Miracle Worker, aka the Helen Keller story:

http://www.mostlymagic.tv/miracle_worker.mov

Shot 60i at 30th and +6 db, generally very low light. No correction on this footage but I'll be able to brighten it up a lot, am very satisfied with the lack of noise.

Thanks to -- is it Randy? -- for coming up with this preset.

Randy Panado March 3rd, 2009 07:19 AM

Dale, no problem :). Go tackle those low lit reception halls!

Bryce, you are most very welcome. Looking forward to seeing some footage.

Jeff, good to hear it's working out for ya, no problem. Just contributing back and paying it forward ;). The footage looks great btw.

Cheers

Charles Hesman March 17th, 2009 04:10 PM

The Best Preset to date!

I must say I stumbled on this forum by accident and saw the PFVision Preset and thought,"sounds interesting." I am a wedding videographer and reception rooms are always real tricky. I hate using my onboard light all the time because it just does not look very natural. Although there are key moments I cannot live without an onboard light.

I tested the preset on my XHA1 as soon as I read this post and was simple blown away Randy by the results just viewing thru my LCD viewfinder. I walked into my walk-in closet with the door ajar and the only light was from the open door. It was dark to say the least.
I was set at 60i / F1.6 and 1/30 shutter and what my eye saw is what my lcd saw. Just amazed me man. I am even able to use -3db and choose whether to use 1/60 or 1/30 depending on the light and also I don't always have to have the aperture at 1.6 for the most light possible. Hardly no grain noise. This gives me greater control and freedom over my shots.

I will post results when I get a chance to shoot some. My next wedding is in a couple of weeks but I was very impressed by Jeff Nelsons sample: http://www.mostlymagic.tv/miracle_worker.mov

Thanks for sharing. I feel like my Canon XHA1 can now compete with that lowlight rascal Sony VX2100. Made me fall in love with this camera all over again.
Keep up the good work guys.

Randy Panado April 11th, 2009 01:15 PM

Hey Charles,

Glad you liked the preset :). Unfortunately, I sold my A1 to get an HMC150. I'll really miss using this preset as it gave me great colors in low lighting.

I made a couple changes in my final revision of PFvision as I was finding that the image seemed a bit soft at times.

I changed coring to 0 and sharpness to 0. Looked a little better to me. VERY VERY hard to discern unless you're looking for it though.

Thanks for the encouraging words, I'm glad to hear others are really enjoying using my preset since I love giving back to the community here. Maybe when the next iteration of the XH-A1 comes out, I'll be able to sell off the HMC150 and use this preset again ;).

-Randy

Dennis Murphy April 11th, 2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Panado (Post 1080017)
Unfortunately, I sold my A1 to get an HMC150.

-Randy

With all brutal honesty, how are you finding that cam compared to the XHA1?

Randy Panado April 12th, 2009 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy (Post 1080912)
With all brutal honesty, how are you finding that cam compared to the XHA1?

I'll definitely let you know when I have it in my hands. Waiting till after NAB to purchase.

Ayesha Khan April 16th, 2009 04:56 PM

This is fantastic. I just tried it out at home. Thanks!!!!

I don't actually quite understand this preset malarky but will read up on it tomorrow. I may return with many questions.

Allan Black April 16th, 2009 06:49 PM

Fascinating thread, thanks Randy. I shoot airplanes mainly outdoors in good light and find Stevens great PANALOOK2 preset works for me. But occasionally I get short notice to shoot inside an aircraft or a darkened hangar without adequate lighting.

So I'm looking for a good lowlight preset to cover this and I'm wondering how your new preset would intercut or blend in with PANALOOK2?

Yep I know, try it :) but have you or anyone tried this, say outside the reception hall, then inside.

Cheers.

Randy Panado April 16th, 2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 1101757)
Fascinating thread, thanks Randy. I shoot airplanes mainly outdoors in good light and find Stevens great PANALOOK2 preset works for me. But occasionally I get short notice to shoot inside an aircraft or a darkened hangar without adequate lighting.

So I'm looking for a good lowlight preset to cover this and I'm wondering how your new preset would intercut or blend in with PANALOOK2?

Yep I know, try it :) but have you or anyone tried this, say outside the reception hall, then inside.

Cheers.

It works in all occasions for me. I'd just be careful about exposures since the high color gain makes it almost impossible to salvage a blown out shot. Then again..it may just be the HDV codec ;).