DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   35mm Lens Setup - What all do I need? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/141406-35mm-lens-setup-what-all-do-i-need.html)

Douglas Wright January 12th, 2009 06:13 AM

35mm Lens Setup - What all do I need?

I'm probably going to be buying an A1 today. I've rented it a couple of times but never or had any experience with accessories.

My friend recommended I get a 35mm lens for the shallow depth of field and after seeing sample clips it's a must have. But when I see pictures of the setup, I also see a lot of other things on it. People are saying you need a primer, rails, and I also notice what appears to be Nikkon lens adapters. I also see that these things come at different f-stops? I'm not sure what I would or wouldn't need to go along with it.

Could someone recommend me an affordable, but high quality setup and explain to me how all these things tie in together?

Thanks.

David W. Jones January 12th, 2009 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Wright (Post 993543)
Could someone recommend me an affordable, but high quality setup
Thanks.

The very first thing you need to do is set a working budget.
Because what's affordable to me may not be what's affordable to you.

Budgetary items to consider for a 35mm DOF Rig...

_ Camera
_ Extra Batteries
_ Headphones
_ Storm Case
_ Fluid Head
_ Tripod
_ Indoor Mic
_ Outdoor Mic
_ Wireless Mic
_ Mic Boom
_ XLR Mic Cables
_ 35mm DOF adapter w/Flip
_ Camera Baseplate w/Rails
_ Rail Mounting Brackets
_ Noga Arm
_ External Video Monitor w/Batteries
_ 35mm Lens Collection
_ Focus Gears for each lens
_ Follow Focus
_ Matte Box
_ Filters

There are a few of the basics for a 35mm DOF Rig.

Good Luck!

Douglas Wright January 12th, 2009 04:49 PM

what would I need for the 35mm specific part of the setup?

Just the 35mm Adaptor, rail and lens kit?

Is there any book or video that breaks down all these different parts? I'm having a hard time finding anything that explains this whole set up.

Chris Barcellos January 12th, 2009 04:56 PM

If you are going for full out set up, David Jone's list give you a good idea:

_ Rail Mounting Brackets
_ Noga Arm
_ 35mm Lens Collection
_ Follow Focus
_ Matte Box
_ Filters

Just so you know, to get that equipment altogether properly, you are talking more than your camera. Its not just a matter of putting lens on end of your camera.

Most people use prime lenses-- ie., not zoom. I've bought a collection of Nikkors, even a short zoom, over ebay. You pay your money and you take your chances. My lenses include
a Canon 24mm F 2.8 and Nikkors as follows: 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 43-85 zoom, Series E 100mm.

Start with a bare adapter and a lens or 2, just to see if you want to pour more into it. Each accessory listed provides for a specific purpose or issue, and will eventually be a necessity, but starting out with bare setup will give you an idea what is most important for the moment.

Search for posts from Steven Dempsey on DVInfo, he makes some beautiful stuff with the A1and adapters.

Douglas Wright January 12th, 2009 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 993888)
If you are going for full out set up, David Jone's list give you a good idea:

_ Rail Mounting Brackets
_ Noga Arm
_ 35mm Lens Collection
_ Follow Focus
_ Matte Box
_ Filters

Just so you know, to get that equipment altogether properly, you are talking more than your camera. Its not just a matter of putting lens on end of your camera.

For just starting out, what would be a ~1500 setup to be able shoot usable 35mm? (monitor seperate)

Chris Barcellos January 12th, 2009 05:16 PM

Brevis by Cinevate or Letus Extreme, are two most talked about vibrating systems. They have flip systems with a Nikon or Canon 35mm lens mount and go around that figure. Then there is Redrock Micro which goes past that budget, point a a bit. It is a spinning adapter. (Not sure if you know principle involved, but essentially your A-1 would be used to close focus on a vibrating or spinning ground glass. The 35mm lens is used to throw at image on the ground glass. GG spins or vibrates to eliminate gg grain.)