Frame Grabs: TrueColor + MBLooks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 12th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Frame Grabs: TrueColor + MBLooks

I made my first attempt to color grade with Magic Bullet Looks on some family footage shot in HDV 24F with the TrueColor preset. Before and after pix are attached below. To be sure, MBLooks is more sophisticated than I'll ever figure out. I just waded into it. Still, the ability for me as a hobbyist to achieve some nice looks with just a few clicks is really appealing.

This was truly rip and grip shooting, and I found a child who actually sat still for a minute while I filmed her. The only lighting was overcast sun filtered through a window with a sheer curtain. I started in MBLooks with the "Warmish" preset and tweaked from there. My goal was to create a sensitive look. What do you think? Too much?

-Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Frame Grabs: TrueColor + MBLooks-girl-truecolor2.png   Frame Grabs: TrueColor + MBLooks-girl-mblooks2.png  

Steven Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #2
Major Player

I think it looks pretty damn good...
I have been trying to play with MB looks, but I only played with the 1st par (satr and pre gamma).
A whole lot more to learn..
I don't know what exactly you meant by "Sensitive look" though... would you mind explaining?

JJ
J.J. Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.J. Kim View Post
I think it looks pretty damn good...
I have been trying to play with MB looks, but I only played with the 1st par (satr and pre gamma).
A whole lot more to learn..
I don't know what exactly you meant by "Sensitive look" though... would you mind explaining?

JJ
I should have explained more; I realize that anytime someone asks for an opinion, it need not be offered in a vacuum, so it would help to explain just what was intended. Here, the shot is one of several with little to no camera movement showing children at quiet play or rest, all over a bed of a contemplative piano solo. Thus, I thought maybe that a warm, perhaps diffuse, look would work with the music to give an overall effect that speaks of a child's more quiet side.

Incidentally, the "Warmish" preset includes a diffusion filter, and the final image looks absolutely spectacular on my 30" computer monitor. Rendered out to NTSC DVD on my TV, however, it looks 'smudgy', almost out of focus, and so I deleted that particular filter in the MBLooks chain. Consequently, I retained (I hope) the sharp detail I've come to expect from this camera.

Thanks for your comments.

-Steve
Steven Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #4
New Boot

it's really nice.
I also used magic bullet on my vegas software.
but I'm still looking for a 'best look' on my video without loosing details of the object.
Yasir Hasby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders