XHA1 Drivers for Vista. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 15th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #1
Major Player

XHA1 Drivers for Vista.

I have had this Camera a few weeks and have always been able to capture. Although, it has been a major struggle at time. Now for some crazy reason...out of the blue my PC can not see my Camera? What is going on?

I think I need to install the drivers on my Vista machine. Does anyone know where I can get the drivers for this Camera?

Thank you.
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 02:36 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have never had to put a driver in vista for my camera the computer and the NEL automatically see it.

alan
Alan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 02:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Guy try connecting your XH-A1 to another computer (Vista or XP) via firewire and see what happens, Vista should not need additional drivers.

Paul
Paul W. Hazeltine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 02:57 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quite a few A1s (including mine) have had their firewire port die. Try using another computer and another cable to check.

Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd
Ian Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #5
Major Player

I had a similar problem. I put the A1 in the camera mode (instead of the VTR mode) while leaving it connected to my computer. At some point, I got a message saying that the drivers had been loaded for the A1 !!
Very bizarre but after that, the computer started recognizing the camera.
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #6
Regular Crew

can't say i've had this problem. i always connect my firewire from cam to computer and turn camera to VCR mode before even opening my NLE. when i open my NLE, everything always works perfectly.
Chris Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #7
Major Player

1. Try first turning off your computer.
2. Check to make sure that if you want to capture SD, that the cam is set to SD, in the "record" mode (turn it to "A", for example. Same goes for HDV. Just make sure it's in the correct "mode".
3. Now plug in the firewire into the cam and computer. Next Turn on the cam,
4. THEN turn on the computer.

You should be able to have your computer recognize the A1 after that. If not....take your computer with cam into a computer repair station and see what they can do.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 03:30 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wolla View Post
3. Now plug in the firewire into the cam and computer. Next Turn on the cam,
4. THEN turn on the computer.
Isn't this a recipe for destroying the firewire port on the A1? Perceived and validated wisdom is that the camera is the last thing to turn on, after the cable is connected and the computer is on.

Ian
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Wright View Post
Isn't this a recipe for destroying the firewire port on the A1? Perceived and validated wisdom is that the camera is the last thing to turn on, after the cable is connected and the computer is on.

Ian

I would agree...I would always make the camera the last electrical device to turn on. There is the small possibility of voltage spikes being sent through the firewire cable when a computer powers on...I wouldn't risk this even with the chances being as low as they are. I'd even go so far as to be grounded and touch the firewire cable end to help discharge any possible electrical buildup BEFORE pluging the firewire cable into my camera.
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hooey View Post
I would agree...I would always make the camera the last electrical device to turn on.
I would too, been doing it like this for years without any problems until 1,5 months ago, plugged my xh-a1 to my pc and it refused to connect. Had to send it to canon for service and appears the firewire got fried.

Don't understand what the problem is with those canon's, never had any problem and then I manage to damage the firewire port on a brand new canon. I'm sure that the upgrade to a 6 pin port on the camera has a lot to do with the problems they have been experiencing.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Wright View Post

Ian
That has not been my experience
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #12
Wrangler

Now what?

I just had a PC built and installed Vista 64. It won't recognize my camera, although a couple times it acted like it was trying.

I've tried all these tips (except the one about powering up the camera before the PC) and nothing has worked. Just checked my firewire connection on my old PC and it is still fine.

David, I'm not sure what you meant by "after awhile"-- I left mine in camera mode for 90 seconds, which seems like it should have been long enough.

Is the next step uninstalling Vista and replacing it with XP?
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Hi Lorinda..............

Well, actually not a bad idea as it happens, tho' whether it's going to fix your problem is a moot point.

Certainly run faster at any rate.

My experience has been that certain NLE's just don't seem to "get it" when it comes to connecting a new camera (A1's in particular, in my case).

Premier Elements refused point blank to have a bar of it when first tried.

Downloaded the freebie from Ulead, fired it up and presto, up it came.

Went back to PE and guess what?

Worked straight off.

Go figure.

As for the "blowing firewire ports" thing, well, what can I say?

I've seen posts recommeding the slaughter of sacrificial lambs before entering the room, let alone connecting anything.

Heck, I just turn 'em on, fire 'em up, plug 'em in (any order you like) and away it goes, every time.

No issues, no hassle and certainly no blown anything.

Lucky?

Doubt it.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 03:24 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I had to return mine to Canon for a new firewire port. The problem is real.

Ian
Old January 31st, 2009, 09:05 PM   #15
Wrangler

I installed Vista 32 bit because I couldn’t install XP without jumping through some major hoops over drivers. At least it’s not shutting down my NLE like the 64 bit version was.

Vista still doesn’t recognize my camera, so until I get a tapeless solution I will capture on my old machine and transfer the files. What a pain, but it’s all I’ve got right now--couldn’t find that Canon has a fix on the way. I should have come to this forum before building my PC but never gave a thought to a camera/OS incompatibility after all this time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders