DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Back pack for A1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/141880-back-pack-a1.html)

Peter Kimmett January 19th, 2009 11:08 AM

Back pack for A1

Well hello there Fellow Canon A1 users,

First off, I would like to start off by saying that I have recently become the proud owner of a brand-spanking-new XH A1 (courtesy of B&H) and have had it for all of a week and have fallen head over heels for this little beauty.

I would also like to mention that I am very new to the filming/editing world but it has always been a very large interest of mine (just never been able to afford the equipment in the past). So, that being said, I would like to point out that I have very little/no experience at all with cameras (but I hope to change that fairly quickly).

I am a person who likes to travel, hike, snowboard and bike. I originally purchased the camera with the intent to shoot snowboarding footage, but after watching many of the videos posted by users here (most of which I will credit to Steven Dempsey and his inspirational video titled "An Uncluttered World") I want to record everything I see and do, all of course with some sort of artistic eye.

I have been reading the forums for a few months here on all of the interesting topics about this camera and all sorts of great accessories for it. For me, one of the essentials is a great and versatile bag.

I am personally interested in a backpack for my camera and accessories. The specific bag I am looking at is the CineBags CB-25 (seen here: CineBags | CB-25 Revolution Backpack | CB-25 | B&H Photo Video) but due to the not so clear details of this bag, I had a few questions about it that I was wondering someone in this community could help me with (hopefully someone out there has this bag or has seen it up close).

I see that this bag is designed for the A1, which is a huge plus, but my question is, does it have a waist strap? I know that the specifications section at B&H sates that it doesn't, but in all of the pictures that I have been able to locate show waist 'pads' where it would look like a waist band strap would go (seen here: CineBags - Life on Location).

Mostly I was hoping someone could confirm whether it actually does have a waist strap or not (seeing as this will mean a great deal to me due to hiking with the bag and carrying it around in general).

Again, thanks to anyone who can help me out.

~Pete

Curt Fargo January 19th, 2009 11:19 AM

Pete,

Here is their email markus@cinebags.com if you can't get an answer here.

Peter Kimmett January 19th, 2009 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curt Fargo (Post 997474)
Pete,

Here is their email markus@cinebags.com if you can't get an answer here.

Thanks a bunch Curt. I will email him now and hopefully between him and this community I will get a solid answer.

~Pete

Derrick DeWilde January 20th, 2009 10:40 AM

You also may want to try the hunting industry websites (I think one would be badlands backpacks). They make backpacks especially for cameras and they are waterproof, etc..) I saw some great packs at the Archery Trade Show in Indianapolis this year....I saw some great backpacks! Most are camo though....just in case that matters to you

Derek Shantz January 20th, 2009 10:46 AM

That backpack does not fit the camera well. I use the Petrol PMck1 but if you need more room for accessories try kata's 207 grizzly.

Phil Murray January 20th, 2009 11:14 AM

I have a Lowepro CompuTrekker Plus AW which works well, though i haven't had a chance to use it a lot. I have a couple of smaller Lowepro bags that have been great. I chose this one especially because it will also hold me 17" laptop. The waterproof rain cover was also a big factor in my decision.

David Marker January 20th, 2009 12:32 PM

If you dont want to carry a laptop, check out the KATA 205 backpack. I have it and it's a tank, but also compact and inconspicuous.

Peter Kimmett January 20th, 2009 12:41 PM

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the great responses and input.

I was looking at this bag specifically because I like that its large enough to carry everything I need (all my accessories and such) along with being able to carry other stuff I may want like a lunch or clothes or gloves. I also like the fact that it has several side pouches. Plus I want to be able to take my laptop with me when I am out and about traveling.

This bag has the zipper opening on your back so I wont have to run the risk of someone swiping my gear while I am on the move in public places (an added bonus for me).

I was able to get a response from the guys at CineBags and they said that BHPhoto is wrong in their statement about it not having a waist strap. So just an FYI for anyone out there looking at this bag. it DOES in fact have a a waist strap, (and i quote) "the BH web page is wrong, it does come with some thick hip padding and a waist strap." This was all I personally was looking for.

This bag will suit my needs just fine (plus I'm a sucker for the color green).

Again, thanks for all the help and the great input on other bag options!

~Pete

Adam Slaght January 21st, 2009 04:20 PM

I own this bag in the digital camo pattern.

It DOES fit the camera just fine and is very comfortable to carry for long periods of time.

I love it, its a great pack.

Bill Fredette January 21st, 2009 05:37 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone who owns the KATA 205 pack ever flown with it? Will it fit in an overhead bin?

Thanks

Ann Bens January 21st, 2009 06:54 PM

I have a Tamrac Expedition 6 for my A1. And it also fits a SLR with 3 lenses.
Bit on the heavy side (about 8 kg) but after a few days you get use to it.

David Marker January 21st, 2009 11:26 PM

Bill,
I have the KATA 205 and have flown to France and Italy with it on big and small planes. It does fit in the overhead compartment. I removed the shotgun mount however to make sure i didn't break it and I lost one of the stupid little screws. Know where I can get a new one?

Bill Fredette January 22nd, 2009 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Marker (Post 998833)
Bill,
I have the KATA 205 and have flown to France and Italy with it on big and small planes. It does fit in the overhead compartment. I removed the shotgun mount however to make sure i didn't break it and I lost one of the stupid little screws. Know where I can get a new one?

David, thanks for the good news. The family is flying to Ireland this summer and I'm so glad to hear I won't have to risk checking my camera. Sorry to hear about the lost screw, though. I seem to recall a thread on here about a similar problem and it seems that folks were able to get replacement screws from Canon.

Bill

Stephen Sobel February 17th, 2009 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Slaght (Post 998637)
I own this bag in the digital camo pattern.

It DOES fit the camera just fine and is very comfortable to carry for long periods of time.

I love it, its a great pack.

Does the A1 fit in lens facing down and eyepiece facing up? How much can you fit in besides the A1? Specifically, can you also carry a shotgun mic, mic holder, several extra tapes, spare battery, and still have room for some snacks and spare clothing (for a day of hiking)?

Peter Kimmett February 17th, 2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Sobel (Post 1013720)
Does the A1 fit in lens facing down and eyepiece facing up? How much can you fit in besides the A1? Specifically, can you also carry a shotgun mic, mic holder, several extra tapes, spare battery, and still have room for some snacks and spare clothing (for a day of hiking)?

Hey Stephen,

although I do not personally own a shotgun mic (yet) there is definitely plenty of room for one alone with a mic holder. There several fairly large pockets located on the sides of the pack and one also on top of the pack. I have several tapes that I carry with me at all times (never know when you are going to need a couple) along with extra batteries and all necessary wires needed to charge and connect to laptop (which also fits very nicely in the bag). the camera fits snugly into the bag with room on either side for extra snacks and clothes (along with the shotgun mic). the only problem that I have seen (but not yet personally experienced) is that the shotgun mic will either have to be removed or readjusted to fit within the bag properly.

Also, another plus about this bag is a nice (and sturdy) waist strap. I have found that in my hiking experiences that transferring any possible weight to your waist instead of your shoulders is a huge help (especially when it comes to the end of the day). The product is mislabeled on the BHPhoto website and the pictures at Cinebags.com are also not very helpful. I sent an email to the guys over at Cinebags and they confirmed my questions. When I received the bag I was very happy with the quality of this bag and all the added features it included. IMO, this is a great bag and sounds like the most suitable option for your hiking extravaganza (along with it being one of the cheapest options for a backpack style bag that I have found)

Best of luck in your hiking experiences,

~Pete