DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   xha1 and diy slider test footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/142369-xha1-diy-slider-test-footage.html)

Michael Hutson January 25th, 2009 04:22 PM

xha1 and diy slider test footage

Enjoy! (test footage loading on vimeo as I type)

DIY SLIDER TEST FOOTAGE on Vimeo

Comments welcome. (Please don't shoot me about the footage....just testing the slider)

Fully manual except auto focus on the "zoom-slide." Preset = pfvision.

Michael

Marcel D. Van Someren January 25th, 2009 06:02 PM

Very creative. Do you have an issue with a fully loaded camera causing the track to bind near full extension?

Michael Hutson January 25th, 2009 06:13 PM

Nope, no binding.....used heavy duty ball-bearing drawer slide(100 lb rating). Camera is just stock, though.

Rob Cook January 25th, 2009 11:41 PM

Michael, Nice job!! It works great! I could use that on my next shoot. Where did you get the plans to build the slider and I did not see a counter weight? Can you explain a bit. Thanks for taking the time to share your work.

Michael Hutson January 26th, 2009 07:21 AM

Rob,

You're welcome. My pleasure.

I'll try to get on tonight and give some explaining and parts list. At work at the moment.

Michael

Michael Hutson January 26th, 2009 07:49 PM

Rob: Emailing you a shopping list and video.

You're right...no counter balance. Just make sure one of the tripod legs is in-line with the extension. My m25 supports it fine....not a bad idea to maybe throw some wieght across the cross braces if you're not staying with the camera.

John Stakes January 26th, 2009 08:06 PM

looks good Michael. Could you tell me is the jerking from the slider itself? Or is that just the standard jerk that Vimeo is known for?

thanks for sharing

Michael Hutson January 26th, 2009 09:17 PM

John,

I think it was a little of both....and me. The plastic stops were grabbing. I filed them down today and packed the bearings with some white lube and now that is gone....there was an initial drag when the 1st set of rails stopped and the 2nd set started extending.

Part of it was me not keeping a consistant push....not much practicing.....the footage was taken minutes after i put it together. Thanks for commenting on that.

I am pleased though with the concept and the progress. I am looking forward to becoming more familar with it.

There is no verticle droop what so ever, however there is a lateral shimmy when it reaches the stops at full extension(like an arrow quivering). Solution: don't hit the stops.

I'll try to get some more footage out next week.

Thanks again for your comments, John.

Michael

John Stakes January 28th, 2009 02:30 PM

no problem, looking forward to the new footage. And yes, practice is a big part of the process. I learned this first hand a few weeks ago.

JS

Kees van Duijvenbode January 29th, 2009 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Hutson (Post 1001665)
Rob: Emailing you a shopping list and video.

Can you make that public? I'm interested too.

Michael Hutson January 29th, 2009 04:55 AM

here's video with shopping list and construction notes. Enjoy!

This is a password protected video on Vimeo

password: sadie