On board mic asembly falling off at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 28th, 2009, 03:15 AM   #1
Trustee

On board mic asembly falling off

Although I nevr use the on board mic, I need to get it fixed because the entire assembly is about to fall off. It was loose, but still working, but now looks like it's ready to fall off and no longer works. I taped it on temporarily, but need to get it fixed.
Has anyone had this problem? Is it something that a decent electronic repair tech could fix, or would I have to send it up to Canon?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Yarock Video and Photo
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #2
Tourist

We have 2 A1's and both have this issue. I use a shotgun that sounds better than the camera mic, but this is definitely an issue that canon needs to address.

I'm actually borrowing another A1 from a friend to capture more footage. His camera is practically brand new, yet his camera mic is still fairly loose.

I'm not sure how much the repair would be, for now I just taped it up and use the XLR inputs with better mics.
Andrew O. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #3
Trustee

Like I said, I never use that onboard mic, but it sounds like a Canon design flaw. I did a better job taping it, and really don't want to spend the money fixing it. The only isue would be if I wanted to sell it down the road.
other than that, it's a great camera.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarockviideo.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi guys............

Already thrashed to death and then some............

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...ems-loose.html

Nothing new here.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 10:24 AM   #5
Tourist

Canon service center

Mine broke off. I shipped it to the Canon Service Center in California and they fixed it for free. I had to pay for one way shipping.
Kevin Marlatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 12:17 AM   #6
Tourist

My apologies, I haven't been on this forum very long and did not search well enough on this topic.

Thanks for the link posted above.

I still believe that it is a flawed design, as it may reduce handling noise, the loose mic undoubtedly feels like "something" is wrong with your camera, giving some an unnerving feeling.
Andrew O. Paul is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders