Anyone recommend Wide-Angle lens for Gliding with the XH-A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Anyone recommend Wide-Angle lens for Gliding with the XH-A1

Hi all,

Currently I'm using a glidecam and xh-a1, but find that without an additional lens the glide wobbles are noticeable.
However, with my 16x9 Super Fisheye lens, it's a superb smooth glide but the fisheye effect is just too much after several shots.

So my question is, which wide angle lens might i head for that will be a good all-rounder (wide, little or no distortion, zoom-thru, well-made)

0.6, 0.7, 0.8x??? Century Optics? 16x9?
Any tried and tested?

Many thanks, Richard
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:59 PM   #2
Trustee

There is a huge sticky on this (top of this thread) but you might like the WD-H72 that Canon makes specifically for the XHA1. For your purpose a drawback might be that it adds considerable weight to the camera. It is otherwise an excellent piece of glass and we use it constantly. //Battle Vaughan'/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Regular Crew

yes, the canon wide lens is great...never take mine off. plus it just looks like a real camera with that huge hood =]. but im guessing the more weight the more centred your glidecam will be. with the die lens on i just throw it back more on the plate to make up the front heavy. you might also try without any lenses on the camera, to lower the post and add more weight for a better centre of gravity. and, one thing i did...i have the arm brace but if you have something to clamp to a desk or workbench to freely hold up the glidecam. with it freely floating not by you holding, you can get a perfect balance reading. some tips i have found from using mine.

dan
Daniel Caruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys, really helpful

I find the super fisheye pretty heavy anyway, and as Daniel has said, i simply take this into consideration when balancing.

I'll def. look into that lens, thank alot
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I leave the Canon WA on almost all the time. I find a heavier setup easier to balance and fly on my Stedicam Co-Pilot.
Oliver.
Oliver Horn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders