DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Audio Question for XHA1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/143169-audio-question-xha1.html)

Kevin Lewis February 5th, 2009 08:07 PM

Audio Question for XHA1

I am new to this fourm and have found it very helpful. I am also new to the xha1. Can someone please tell me how to read the bars for the audio level if I am using the manual setting. I will be recording a barbershop Quartet, and I am trying to decide if I should use the manual audio features or if I should let the camera do it automatically. It will be in a very controlled enviroment and the shotgun mics will only be a few feet away from the group. Any thoughts? Also if using the manual feature should the bars register half way across or more? I'm just tring to determine if the auto mode for audio is good enough to capture the sound in this scenario.

Glen Johnstone February 6th, 2009 07:24 AM

Hi Kevin. Welcome to the forum. I have found that manual mode is the way to capture the best audio in a controlled situation. First and foremost; get a decent pair of headphones and use them. This is the only way to *really* know how the audio sounds.

As far as the meters are concerned, the A1 has a mark on the audio meters for -12db. This is your target. If I recall my analog/digital training, it coresponds to 0 VU for an analog system. (someone please correct me if I am mistaken) At this level, there is still some overhead to allow for unexpected peaks without clipping.

If you only need a mono track for the video, capture to both tracks but reduce the gain on number 2. This adds a little bit of insurance.

If possible, try to capture a rehearsal so you know what to expect.

Good luck.

Glen

Don Palomaki February 7th, 2009 07:58 AM

It depends on the program material (dynamic range, number of sharp peaks, etc) and your end application. For "average material" what ever that is, you will probably want to try having the audio average around the -12 dB mark, and to have the peaks near full indication on the meter. If this is a "professional" shot, you may want to try having the average more like -16 to -18 dB. Peaks that are at or above the max indication on the meter will be clipped, which is usually not wanted. Peaking too low can result in a poorer signal to noise ratio in the final product.

In the end, youw would do well to practice with similar program material to see what sounds best for your application.

Steve Berg February 9th, 2009 01:40 PM

Wireless Mic System

All,

Also using the XH-A1.
I am starting out and looking for a wireless audio setup. Need a Lav to capture vowes and and I assume a backup mic to mic the PA system during the ceremony and reception? Can you recommend some systems. I don’t have much of a budget. What is the diffrence between the VHF and UHF Systems ?

Thanks for your help on this one!

Colin McDonald February 9th, 2009 02:02 PM

Steve, it's hard to know where to begin, but here's a start:
Radio Microphones
This site gives some UK specific information, but some of it is generally useful

Quote:

The choice between VHF and UHF frequencies is very much a personal one It is true to say that UHF frequencies are much less susceptible to interference than VHF. Body absorption however is greater the higher the frequency, thus the usable range is reduced making it almost essential to use diversity receiver systems to improve the range.

The same diversity receiver systems can be used in the VHF band to reduce interference and extend the usable range.

Another point to be considered is that UHF radio mics consume about 50% more battery power - not a major problem with modern alkaline batteries but should be taken into account.

In UHF's favour, particularly when using the diversity receiver system, the aerials are smaller and less cumbersome than VHF aerials.

Steve Berg February 9th, 2009 02:07 PM

Thanks for the quick reply the VHF seem like they are a cheaper alternative. Mind I ask what systems you use? Do you have any pics of the actual configuration on the XH-1A.

Thanks!

Allan Black February 9th, 2009 02:39 PM

NYC = UHF. The RF (radio interference) is very bad, you can throw a piece of white bread into the air and it comes down toast. Burnt in some parts of the Bronx.

Cheers.

Colin McDonald February 9th, 2009 03:12 PM

I use a Sennheiser EW-112PG2 wireless microphone kit which I mount on a bracket on the camera if I'm using my Rode NTG -2 shotgun and SM3 shockmount as well.

I don't have a photo of the complete kit mounted (or even holding hands, as the old joke runs) but here's an idea of what the bits look like (Google is your friend):
http://www.thebroadcastshop.com/imag...2p_g2_2007.jpg
Rode | NTG-2 Shotgun Microphone | B&H Photo Video
RØDE Microphones - SM3