DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Indicators showing up on tape (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/143171-indicators-showing-up-tape.html)

Kevin Lewis February 5th, 2009 08:37 PM

Indicators showing up on tape

In another thread a user addressed a problem where his camera indicators were showing up on the tape. Its was mentioned that his chracter setting was set to on. I want to make sure that I avoid this because I am new to the camera and I have a shoot coming up in a few days. I dont see anywhere in the menu where it addresess the character settings. Can you please tell me where ther at. ALso, If I dont see them when I'm playing back on my tv, can I assume that they wont be present when I go to edit?

Michael Hutson February 5th, 2009 08:51 PM

Found on page 89 of manual

Custom Function
Item 20
00-OFF, 01-ON
DEFAULT IS OFF

Kevin Lewis February 5th, 2009 09:01 PM

Do I have to worry about this if i'm shooting in auto mode? Also if I hook my camera up to the tv and I dont see the display markers, can I assume that they wont be there when i go to edit?

Peter Kimmett February 6th, 2009 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Lewis (Post 1007341)
Do I have to worry about this if i'm shooting in auto mode? Also if I hook my camera up to the tv and I dont see the display markers, can I assume that they wont be there when i go to edit?

Hey Kevin,

Although I am fairly new to the A1 myself, we can safely assume that if you are in auto mode, and you have not gone into the custom settings and changed it from its default (which is set to off) that it will not be on. And yes it is also safe to assume that if you hook your camera to a tv and you do not see the display markers that they will not be there when you edit.

~Pete

Michael Hutson February 6th, 2009 08:05 AM

you don't have to worry about......It will only come on if you change it in the menu.

I strongly recommend you learn to shoot in manual as soon as possible.

Kevin Lewis February 6th, 2009 08:47 AM

The problem is that I have been tring to test some of the settings and I just need to make sure that the option is off. I have a shoot this week and I will only get one shot at it, so i'm trying to make sure that this option is indeed off. If it were on, would the display screen show me a warning?

Chris Hurd February 6th, 2009 09:46 AM

Hi Kevin, since you have the camera, I strongly urge you to do some test recordings and double-check for yourself so that you can verify whether this setting is on or off. You are the only one who is in a position to determine how your camera is set up, but the answer to your question is that if this setting is turned on, then you would see the display info on the screen during playback.

Also, I have changed the thread title from "Help" to "indicators showing up on tape." Please avoid ambiguous thread titles. Thanks in advance,