Sony HVR-MRC1 mount w/pics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 6th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony HVR-MRC1 mount w/pics

I have come up with a mount for the HVR-MRC1 that works for me. I have attached pictures to see it as I describe.

I purchased the Bogen Long QR mounting plate which is compatable with all my tripods, etc. This allows me to mount a bracket to the bottom that extends back from the QR mounting plate.
1. Purchased a small steel bracket at the hardware store.
2. I bent the bracket at the matching angle to the mount that comes with the MRC1.
3. I mounted a cold shoe to the bracket. This allows me to quickly slide the MRC1 off to change camera batteries.

The distance of the bend in the bracket corresponds to the clearance needed for the Firewire cable spool and the viewfinder. I purchased a very small retractable firewire cable and attached the spool to the camera battery door via velcro.

I plan on painting the bracket black but I wanted to show all of you the raw design first so you can see it better.

I could have bent the included Sony bracket so my bracket could have been flat but I didn't want to risk ruining the Sony bracket. This would have made setting the camera flat on a table easier. I used rubber bumpons to rest the camera on in my case.

You could mount the MRC1 directly to the bracket but battery access would be a problem.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Sony HVR-MRC1 mount w/pics-mrc1-2.jpg   Sony HVR-MRC1 mount w/pics-mrc1-4.jpg  

Sony HVR-MRC1 mount w/pics-mrc1-5.jpg   Sony HVR-MRC1 mount w/pics-mrc1-6.jpg  

Sony HVR-MRC1 mount w/pics-mrc1-3.jpg  
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Steve,

Thanks for the detailed pictures.
RC
Old February 7th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

People are PM'ing and calling me with questions (which I don't mind too much) but all of you don't get to be in on the conversation.

The cold shoe on the bracket is off my old stroboframe but you can get one here:
Single Stroboframe shoe mount (1)
Old February 17th, 2009, 10:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

i am so late on this, but this is awesome, i need $900, i have been using my MBP to capture directly to instead of tape whenever i can

Steve~
experienced any droped frames? recomendations of a particular compactflash to use? about how much extra weight does it add??

thanks for the pics and info!
Janson Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janson Williams View Post
i am so late on this, but this is awesome, i need $900, i have been using my MBP to capture directly to instead of tape whenever i can

Steve~
experienced any droped frames? recomendations of a particular compactflash to use? about how much extra weight does it add??

thanks for the pics and info!
I am still editing but I haven't seen any dropouts. I used a utility from Sony that assembles the files into continuous clips. (ru_util.exe)

With NP-F570 battery and CF the unit weighs 12 Oz. The battery lasts for hours.

I used a Transcend 133x 32 GB CF (cheap) there are faster CF's but I think you need a Firewire 800 card reader to make it worthwhile to go faster than 133x.
Old March 14th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Re: Sony HVR-MRC1 mount w/pics

Steve, this is great! How have you liked the Sony HVR-MRC1? I am looking at getting a couple of these for our XHA1S cameras, we use FCP on Macs, looks like they have a great plugin as well.
David Stembridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #7
Major Player

This is my version on my FX1:

http://www.idcphotography.com/kart/i...id=74&parent=6
Attached Thumbnails
Sony HVR-MRC1 mount w/pics-dsc00177.jpg   Sony HVR-MRC1 mount w/pics-dsc00179.jpg  

Sony HVR-MRC1 mount w/pics-dsc00181.jpg  
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Ricky,
which mount specifivally did do you use from IDC? Are you using more than one? I do like the idea of having the HVR-MRC1 on the left side, similar position; torn though, seems like handheld it may be better on the back. I have a XHA1S, but my Manfrotto mount doesn't have an open slot to attach a plate, trying to figure that out.
Great use of the bracket though! Thanks for posting the pix!

EDIT.... it is looking like the dogleg more now... can this be positioned with the "leg" either way? Just curious....
Old March 16th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #9
Major Player

"can this be positioned with the "leg" either way? Just curious...."

This is for left side position only.

I can put the recorder on top of the handle for I have the HD bracket attach to it, but I still prefer on the left side so I could see if the unit is recording while using the eye viewfinder.

I use the dogleg also on my 5D MK 2 to attach the Tascam DR 100.
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Wow, guys, this was a very timely posting for me. I have pretty much decided to extend the live of my FX1 using the MRC1, and was wondering.

Question for Rickey, though a bit OT: Does the unit start automatically on you FX1 with starting of recording on the camera ? Any comments on operation with the FX1.
Old March 16th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #11
Major Player

"Does the unit start automatically on you FX1 with starting of recording on the camera ? Any comments on operation with the FX1."

It you shoot with tape in your FX1 yes it start and stops as you press the record button on you camera, but without tape in it you have to press the two buttons in the recording unit. That is why I like the MRC1 place on that position for I have to press it manually during operation when recording without tape as I usually do.

Hope this helps.
Old March 17th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #12
Regular Crew

One more thing Steve on your HVR-MRC1.... just ordered mine, and plan on making a bracket like yours. My camera mount is the standard size and will require shaving off the back ridge, which prevents the steel bracket from being flush on the bottom side of the mount. Once I do that, it should work fine. While I like the idea of having it on the left side of the camera, I ordered 32GB cards, and timing shouldn't be a biggy for the most part. I like having the extra weight towards the back end.

Now... the kinda unrelated question: How long will a battery last on this device? I failed to order one, and well, since we have 2 units, wondering if just ordering one Sony AC-VQ1050D AC/DC Adapter and Battery Charger will be sufficient, or if I made need a couple. Looking at the higher capacity Sony NP-F970 L batteries. Just not sure how long these will power the device.

Any advise there?
Old March 17th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #13
Major Player

David, shooting 3x 32 gig CF cards lasted me with a lot of juice left on the battery using the NP-F570, I guess you can shoot the whole day with that.
Old March 21st, 2011, 02:43 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Thanks Rickey! The rest of the equipment comes in tomorrow, and I can start using it for the shoots I have this week!
Old March 21st, 2011, 03:26 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Hi Steve, just wondering if your bracket was just using the main socket, and did you use the 3/8 socket? I have attached an image of the bottom of my XHA1s with the bracket, which I had to shave down the back a little to create a flush surface.

Seems like that may stress that socket a little, what are your observations?

(EDIT: just noticed the additional screw sockets Canon has on the bottom of the camera..... I am guessing those are for a different kind of tripod mount; but beginning to think perhaps I could drill holes in my bracket and use those instead. Seems like it would offer much better support!)
Attached Thumbnails
Sony HVR-MRC1 mount w/pics-photo.jpg  
David Stembridge is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders