DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   First 30s Commercial (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/143380-first-30s-commercial.html)

Andrew Allsbury February 9th, 2009 12:49 AM

First 30s Commercial

I have worked on quite a few video projects, but this is the first 30s commercial that I have actually produced. Please let me know your thoughts as i value the input of other DVInfo members.

(I know I know...its SD...unfortunately female centered stations in Idaho are not offered in HD on cable..maybe the next one will be for ESPN HD?)

RenewedExpressions - 30sec Commercial ***Work in Progress*** By Andrew Allsbury On ExposureRoom

Andrew Allsbury February 9th, 2009 09:29 AM

Bueller?....Bueller?

Marcel D. Van Someren February 9th, 2009 10:00 AM

Bueller called in sick today...

I thought it was well done and looked professional as opposed to some of those cheesy commercials that you see out there.

It's a shame that it's in SD.

Do you shoot it in HD and then down convert to SD or do you start with SD?

Will Mahoney February 9th, 2009 10:20 AM

Well done. It was professional and clean. Nice coverage shots of merchandise and the shop, good shots of people in the environment, and a good shot/audio of the lady talking. Keep up the good work.

Andrew Allsbury February 9th, 2009 01:09 PM

deleted for double post, sorry

Andrew Allsbury February 9th, 2009 01:21 PM

Thank you for the kind reviews! Any other input?

Workflow on SD Project:
- Shoot in HD
- Edit the footage in HD
- Export to SD
- Import SD video to AE
- Title, etc in AE
- Export video back to premiere and finish audio
- Export to Encore or back to tape!

Will Mahoney February 10th, 2009 09:02 AM

Andrew,
I feel like the audio could use some work - to boost her voice and pull off some of the slight barely-hiss.

But I've got to tell you, I am a complete amateur when it comes to audio, so I have no suggestions for you there. You can see from my exposure-room videos that my audio isn't the best.

Nice video. Keep moving forward.

Will

Kevin Dorsey February 10th, 2009 12:41 PM

I thought it was nicely done. My only nit pick would be the fonts used, but that is my issue. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Allsbury (Post 1009265)
Workflow on SD Project:
- Shoot in HD
- Edit the footage in HD
- Export to SD
- Import SD video to AE
- Title, etc in AE
- Export video back to premiere and finish audio
- Export to Encore or back to tape!

Have you ever tried using AE for your downconversion? I think the results are far better than using Premiere. Just export an HD file from Premiere, import into an SD comp in AE, scale the frame down to fit, and export from there. Give it a try and see what you think.

Shayne Weyker February 10th, 2009 02:07 PM

I think the shot of the lady looking at the bag looks a little rehearsed/unnatural and lasts a second too long. It might of have been better with a shorter, closer shot with slower movement.

Bryan Gilchrist February 13th, 2009 07:32 PM

Link doesn't seem to be working...

Andrew Allsbury February 14th, 2009 03:29 PM

link should be active, the final video is now posted. I agree on the fonts but since it is "their font" I'm kinda stuck. lol

Shahryar Rizvi February 15th, 2009 01:29 AM

I liked it. Nice, now I'm looking forward to owning my Canon XH again (my last one got destroyed in a house fire)